ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Deskmini A310 reliable as home server

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Deskmini A310 reliable as home server
    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:18pm
I want to use a Deskmini A310 with a i7 9700 as a home server.
Is it reliable for 24/7 use?

Thanks
djoser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 3:56am
I run a DM310 with an i5-9600T as a BOINC cruncher 24/7. This means it is being stressed with high computing load every second of the day. Day in, day out.
No problem regarding reliability ever occured. So it should be fine as a home server, as long you take care of sufficient cooling.
Why mine when you can research? - GRIDCOIN - Real cryptocurrency without wasting hashes! www.gridcoin.us
aforumuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforumuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:24pm
I happily run a DM310 with a 8700T as home server - and a 35W CPU is in my opinion the maximum power that's reasonable for such a small form factor, it already gets quite warm under full load. Anything stronger would be even warmer, I don't think the speed increase is worth the reduced reliability/lifespan of the components - electronics don't like heat and this is not a server design. I already had a DM110 mainboard die after ~2y, hopefully the DM310 lasts longer? :-/

If you want to run it only with occasional loads, then why not?

Note also in the forum here there was posted a link to the specs of the power brick. If the link is correct it is rated as

>Life Time: 8760 hours at 80% maximum load and 110/220 Vac, temperature 25°C
>Calculation MTBF: The PSU should not less than 50K hrs at 25 degree C at both 110VAC and 220VAC at 80% maximum load.

...whether this is a good power brick or not compared to others, I don't know.
japa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:06pm
Thank you very much for your help; finally, I have got a 9700T.
I'm loving the performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic