ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtual OS Build Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkan01d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual OS Build Advice
    Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 11:11pm
I'm looking into a new PC build. If I go Skylake which if any motherboard will allow me to enable VT-d?

My rig currently is:
  • i5 - 2500K Sandy Bridge
  • ASRock Fatal1ty Z68
  • 16GB RAM
  • Nvidia 970
  • Samsung 500GB
  • 4x 2TB HDD's
  • 24" 1080p LED monitor
I'm a gamer, I use my PC for gaming 80% of the time. What I've currently got is not terrible specs, nothing there is preventing me from rocking out except my OS preference. I like Linux. I was meh with Windows 7, but the move to 10 has made me bitter. Currently I dual boot. I have to do this since most AAA games aren't Linux compatible, but I'm just so tired of booting into Windows to play games, then restarting to Linux to do the other 20% of things I like to do. That's when I decided to look into virtualization. 

If I virtualize I could boot right into Linux then load Windows as a virtual box. To do this I need VT-d protocols from the processor and enabled via the UEFI. This allows me to assign separate GPU's and other assets to the virtual box. But wouldn't yah know, the more expensive and unlocked i5 - 2500k doesn't have it, but the cheaper i5 - 2500 has VT-d. I don't care about overclocking, I've never had a need, but I need VT-d. 

So here I am, planning a new build, based solely off the fact that Windows 10 sucks and I'm tired of using it, but I must have it to game big. Any suggestions? 

Arkan01d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkan01d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 6:58am
In other words. I'm looking for an ASRock motherboard that allows GPU passthrough by allowing me to enable IOMMU on the Intel chipset. Skylake processor's support it, the Z170 chipset supports it, but it has to be allowed via UEFI. 

That's not something I've been able to find on the product site; so that means either it's not supported, or it's a feature that's not documented and buried in the UEFI somewhere. 

I'd love to own the Z170 Extreme7+ but I'd hate to find out that what I need it for is not supported. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 8:13am
It's my experiences with ASRock that all boards I have used that the UEFI BIOSes have supported this regardless of whether they brag on it or not.

And yea, it too must accompany a supporting CPU to have this feature "enabled"

If in doubt still I'd call ASRock Tech Support and inquire. They don't come around here all that often. Their Official Techs that is.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Arkan01d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkan01d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 1:00pm
Cool deal. I was pretty sure it's supported, but even the manuals I'm pulling up fail to mention it. 

Thanks for the reply!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic