ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Fatlity pro - M.2 and Intel 7265 Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drew6625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Fatlity pro - M.2 and Intel 7265 Question
    Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:14am
I purchased an Intel 7265 Dual Band Wireless M.2 form facot card. I'm having issues with getting it to go inside the M.2 slot on the board. Doesn't seem to want to go in at all. Are there specific M.2 slot standards that won't allow this to work? Any help would be great. Thanks!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:34pm
Welcome to the cutting edge world of M.2! You are among the first to notice that an "M.2" slot is not that simple.

Sorry to say, you are a victim of ambiguous specs from someone that is not known for that, Intel.

Yes, there are multiple and specific M.2 slot standards for various applications. In the very near future (NOW!) the type of M.2 "Key" an M.2 slot supports, AND the type of M.2 key an M.2 device requires, should (MUST!) be included in the specs of any M.2 related device or interface.

An M.2 key is the shape of the edge of a module card type. There are defined module card types that use one of more of the defined M.2 keys. Here's a document about M.2 keys and modules:

http://www.orvem.eu/attachments/article/130/M%202%20introduction.pdf

The most commonly used M.2 keys are B and M, and B-M. The Ultra M.2 slot on your board is a B key compatible type, and the other M.2 slot is a B-M key compatible type.

Your Intel 7265 is a multi-key type module, and I cannot see which key type it is in the Intel specs:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7265-brief.html

But I think I have decoded it, it seems to be an A-E key type IMO. But that assumes one of the two form factors that Intel provides these network cards in, the 2230 rather than the 2216. I assume you have the 2230 but don't really know.

Don't try to force that card in, it won't work in a B or B-M M.2 slot, the only ones on your board, sorry to say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic