ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

5500 XT compatibility issue with old mobo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igalkop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5500 XT compatibility issue with old mobo?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 7:00pm
Hello

I have an old PC, however, from the core functionality it works great. Specs are:
Core i7 860
Intel DP55WG with latest bios (from 2011)
8 GB of RAM
Old nvidia GPU (Geforce 9400 GT)

I wanted to upgrade my GPU to something that would actually be able to play modern games in reasonable FPS (something my old GPU simply cannot do)
So I purchased "ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB" GPU

I was pretty sure this would be a plug-and-play GPU swap.
However, it turned out to be a plug-and-pray task :-/

I did uninstall old drivers using DDU.
When I plugged the new GPU into the PCIe slot (2.0 X16), the POST failed:
1) Bios was frozen on the Intel logo, without being able to even get into bios settings (pressing F2 yield no response, but beeps)
2) The POST code on the mobo displayed error code "Eb" which means "Calling Legacy Option ROMs" or "Calling Video BIOS" according to Intel docs.

I tried to use the 2nd slot of PCIe (2.0 x8) but with same results.
With my original old GPU, both slots work well.

After reading on the internet about bios versions, I have checked and saw my mobo has legacy bios type. I also read that some modern GPUs do not "play well" with legacy BIOS, but only with UEFI BIOS type.

So, my questions are:
1) Does the new 5500 XT from Asrock has backward compatibility issues with Legacy BIOS on old Motherboard? If so - does any of you know where it was stated?
2) Did I just waste 250 USD on a GPU that simply cannot be used on my PC? Is there any option for me to activate it on that old PC after all? I am willing to try anything (Just don't tell me upgrade my whole PC to a new one....)

Igal
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 7:18pm
Dear Igalkop,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your case, the ASRock RX5500 XT Challenger supports hybrid mode and can works at Legacy/UEFI motherboards.
We also have tested with G41 chipset motherboard, RX5500 XT Challenger can boot into BIOS properly.
We suggest using the new generation graphics card on the new generation motherboard.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
igalkop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igalkop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:33am
Well, it may have worked out of the box for your test G41 mobo.
As I mentioned, it did not work for my Intel DP55WG (which is more advanced) mobo.

For what it does worth, the only way I eventually did manage to use the new card was with the following (strange) configuration:

Using my old GPU:
1) Converted my drive on which my OS is installed to be GPT instead of MBR, by using the GPT2MBR tool (windows 10)
2) Then, I rebooted and set in the bios boot settings "Boot UEFI" to be "enabled"

3) Then, I installed the new RX 5500 XT GPU on the secondary PCIe slot (it is x8), and attached the Display cable of my monitor to it, and booted.
4) This time PC booted correctly without errors, and I was able to install latest drivers to that card.
5) I also tried to:
- Use Rx 5500 XT on the main PCIe x16 slot
- Use Rx 5500 XT on the secondary PCIe x8 slot without anything in the main PCIe slot.
Both of these configurations have FAILED: I could not pass the POST step, getting again the "Eb" POST error on the motherboard LED.

So I left my old GPU on the main PCIe x16 slot, disabled it on the Windows Device Manager, and am using now the new GPU on the PCIe 2.0 X8 slot.
Furmark3D has given me with 75 FPS avarage, which I think is a very good frame rate (Or am I wrong about that?)

Igal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic