ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

top-down blowing design?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 8:08am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Has anyone here ever read what the instruction that come with the included water coolers that come on the high end FX silicon? It'd be really interesting to see whether AMD themselves, like practically everyone else does, not mention additional or supplemental VRM cooling.

This, This, This!!

Took some serious trawling on AMD's site but I found the instructions included with the 9000 series FX silicon with the included AIO cooler.

www.amd.com/Documents/FX-9000-Installation-Guide.pdf

Boys, we have a Winner in AMD. Kinda sorta ....... loose wording but does mention cooling the VRM section. At minimum at least AMD is Intimating possible heat issues.

Too, I appreciate AMD keeping tabs on just what motherboards are certified to handle/cool/power the 220W FX silicon and frequently updating the included instructions. Bonus, so long as one abides by them .......

Originally posted by From the above instruction sheet. I hi-lited two lines that AMD From the above instruction sheet. I hi-lited two lines that AMD wrote:

AMD FX??000 Series Processor System Requirements:
AMD FX 9000 series processors feature a 220W TDP and have three unique requirements:

1. A robust CPU liquid cooling system. The Antec Kuhler H20 925, Cooler Master Nepton 120XL, and  Corsair H80i are examples of products with sufficient cooling capacity.

2. A socket AM3+ motherboard that supports processors with a 220W TDP.

As of September 15, 2015,  the compatible motherboard list is as follows:
??Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
??Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
??Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
??Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3/Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5
??Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5/Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 R5
??Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7
??MSI 990FXA-Gaming
??Asrock 990FX Extreme9
??Asrock 990FX Extreme6
??Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional

3. Chassis exhaust fan mounted near the motherboard VRM components with at least  35CFM of air flow capacity.

Edited by wardog - 03 Jan 2016 at 8:10am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by From the above instruction sheet. I hi-lited two lines that AMD From the above instruction sheet. I hi-lited two lines that AMD wrote:

AMD FX??000 Series Processor System Requirements:
AMD FX 9000 series processors feature a 220W TDP and have three unique requirements:

1. A robust CPU liquid cooling system. The Antec Kuhler H20 925, Cooler Master Nepton 120XL, and  Corsair H80i are examples of products with sufficient cooling capacity.

As of September 15, 2015,  the compatible motherboard list is as follows:
??Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
??Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
??Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
??Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3/Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5
??Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5/Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 R5
??Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7
??MSI 990FXA-Gaming
??Asrock 990FX Extreme9
??Asrock 990FX Extreme6
??Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional

3. Chassis exhaust fan mounted near the motherboard VRM components with at least  35CFM of air flow capacity.

There we have it, from the fine (or hard to find) print!

Thank you SO much wardog, for finding and posting this information! Thumbs Up Beer

IMO, the link to the FX-9000 Installation Guide should be included in a sticky post in the AMD Technical Support forum. It may not be what some people want to know, but it is what they need to know.

This statement alone warms my heart: "AMD FX 9000 series processors feature a 220W TDP and have three unique requirements:"

They used the 'R' word, Requirements. Approve

Some of the wording may be loose, I agree, but IMO there is one big ambiguity:

What is it about an AM3+ board that allows it to support a 220W TDP processor?

Let the arguments begin. I will try to stay out of that.

The point most dear to me personally: 3. Chassis exhaust fan mounted near the motherboard VRM components with at least  35CFM of air flow capacity.

Notice this requirement does not take into consideration the heatsink, or lack thereof, used for the VRM transistors. That does not make it something that can be ignored.

These requirements are kept at a high level, meaning lacking details. Still, they are not just very important. They are requirements. If you do not fulfill these requirements, and have problems, the fault is yours.

The only thing I would question, in theory shall we say, is why is only the 990FX chipset implied as a requirement. I know why it is to some degree, but I don't know why it would seem it is the only chipset worthy of use with a 220W TDP AMD processor.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The only thing I would question, in theory shall we say, is why is only the 990FX chipset implied as a requirement. I know why it is to some degree, but I don't know why it would seem it is the only chipset worthy of use with a 220W TDP AMD processor.

It's not the 990FX per se but instead when the 220w CPUs fiirst made their appearance the CPU was designed "for' the 990FX. That the silicon uses 220w, at the time manufacturers needed to beef up the power delivery, straighten the socket traces along with lowering them in the boards substrate layers to shield, and IIRC keep the area surrounding the socket free from SMD and other surface circuitry.

That above only covered the electrical side, never mind delving into the finer points of difference between, say, a 970 chipset, versus the 990FX's. ie: 990FX's chipset TDP, no. and configuration of PCIe lanes, HT speed, etc etc

The design specs req'd for a 220w processor come together to give the end user a great experience. Hence so few boards from which to choose. A complete redesign.

Edited by wardog - 04 Jan 2016 at 4:58pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 4:55pm
Too, there are major differences between the 990FX and the 990X that AMD chose to state only boards with the 990FX.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:03pm
If you'd like I can write up a post for consideration of being made a Stcky.

PM me your thoughts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic