ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

system browser tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: system browser tool
    Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 2:50am
The system browser tool in my BIOS says my ethernet link is only 10mbps.
Is that because it hasn't got an IP yet,?
Shouldn't it default to reporting the highest speed the port can do?
http://james.lockie.ca/20160101_112656.jpg
My OS reports 100mbps which is fine.

Can't it detect there is an optical cable connected?
http://james.lockie.ca/20160101_112632.jpg
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:56am
I'm not sure on the optical detection. Unfortunately, I do not believe so. At least not from the perspective of you looking/it detecting from within the BIOS anyways.

Originally posted by bjlockie bjlockie wrote:

Shouldn't it default to reporting the highest speed the port can do?

hehehe, and then the next one would be asking why it "detects' 1000 when "all I have here is 100". See my point? Damned if they did, damned if they didn't. I honestly don't know.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:05am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'm not sure on the optical detection. Unfortunately, I do not believe so. At least not from the perspective of you looking/it detecting from within the BIOS anyways.

BIOS = Basic In Out System

That it is basic is why I say I don't believe it will detect the optical.

With an optical connection there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than say when compared to a simple electrical connection the other audio connections make.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 1:48pm
You could run the System Browser Tool in the ASRock utility for your unknown board, and see what it shows the link speed to be.

So your router has an optical input, and a standard RJ45 cable output to your board?

When you see the 10Mbps speed in the UEFI, is that from a cold start, with the PC shutdown? Does it show 10Mbps if you restart the PC into the UEFI?

My router has a 1000Mbps output that is then connected to an un-managed switch, whose output is 1000Mbps. This is what I see in the UEFI's System Browser tool:

So the System Browser tool in my board's UEFI is capable of detecting the transmission speed of the connected link.

You mentioned you may not have an IP address "yet" at that point? Meaning you have dynamic rather than static IP addresses?

If that is correct, your router may be in a low power state at that time, and running at 10Mbps.

When you are in the UEFI using the System Browser tool, check the two LEDs on each side of the network port on the board's IO panel.

The LED on the top/right is the Activity/Link LED. If it is on or blinking, a connection has been established.

The LED on the bottom/left is the Speed LED. Off is 10Mbps, orange is 100Mbps, and green is 1000Mbps.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic