ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't Install windows/boot from M.2 SSD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EthanPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't Install windows/boot from M.2 SSD
    Posted: 23 May 2015 at 5:53am
I have the ASRock Z97M OC Formula and Samsung SM951, when i try to install windows on my ssd in the m.2 slot it says Windows cannot be install to disk Ensure that the disks controllers is enabled in the computers BIOS menu.

If I go to the bios and go Tool>System Browser  it says "M2: AHCI Controller" for the m.2 slot and i go to the boot menu the ssd does not show up. I flashed bios 1.91 so it is the latest version.

I am using a UEFI Windows 7 USB for instillation.

All help greatly appreciated!!

Edited by EthanPhillips - 23 May 2015 at 5:54am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:39am
Your board does not yet have the UEFI/BIOS update that allows a SM951 to be used as an OS drive.

Several ASRock Z97 boards have this UEFI update, but your is not yet one of them. They all will be done soon.

BTW, your board does not have the Ultra M.2 slot, using PCIe 3.0 x4 lanes. It has the standard M.2 slot using PCIe 2.0 x2 lanes. The SM951 is a PCIe 3.0 x4 device, so will operate at about half its potential in your board's M.2 slot.

There is more to using a SM951 in any mother board than the things already covered here. See this thread for more information:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=161&title=samsung-sm951ahci-512gb-on-z97-extreme6
EthanPhillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EthanPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:34pm
Ahh ok so I need to wait for a bios update, i saw the SM951 in the Storage Support List on the asrock website so i thought it would work but it does not, i tried changing all the bios settings converting the ssd to GPT Partition.

I know the motherboard does not have ultra M.2 so i got a M.2 to PCI-E adapter but i wanted to try it on the motherboard first to rule out if the problem was with the adapter.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:17pm
If your SM951 is recognized in the UEFI and in Windows with an M.2 to PCIe adapter, then at least you know the adapter is working fine with it.

The update for your board's UEFI has probably not happened yet because it does not have an Ultra M.2 slot. Plus ASRock, like other PC hardware companies, are preparing for the Computex show.

So you tried the settings in the UEFI I posted in the other thread? Sorry if that did not work, it should once the UEFI update is done. Instead of the entry of, "AHCI: SM951", you'll find another entry of, "UEFI: SM951". That is the one that allows booting from an SM951.

I'm nervous about your use of Windows 7 with this SSD. It is more difficult to get the EFI boot loader working in Windows 7 than it is in Windows 8. Did you follow the guide in eightforums, this one:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic