ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

DeskMini H470 Base Frequency Boost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DeskMini H470 Base Frequency Boost
    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:21pm
Hi,

I am a bit disappointed that the DeskMini H470 Base Frequency Boost gives zero performance improvement (according to various benchmarks) and am wondering if I have "missed" a setting...

I have selected the following BIOS settings:
1 - Base Frequency Boost 90W
2 - Adapter set to 180W (actual AC/DC adapter: 19.5v 9.23A, barely gets warm)
3 - Performance mode selected

I have tried 1 and 2 (above) set to Auto, with no difference.

CPUID HWMonitor shows all temps well within safe levels, even when stressing the i5 10600 CPU max temp is holding below 80oC (Noctua NH-L9i with 25mm Fan).

I have reported to Euro Support, but they don't have a test unit and have referred to question to Taiwan, but after ~4 days no response as yet.

Any suggestions or assistance will be appreciated.

My Conversations with your European support have now gone silent, with no response for over a week now... Below is the "conversation" so far:

Hi,

Thanks again for your response.

The requested EDID data is attached, along with the monitor datasheet giving additional info.

A couple of questions / observations on your colleagues data., if I may:
??1 - HW Settings for Power adapter, ?œAuto??and ??80W?? Where are these settings located?
o     I have set the BIOS ?œPower adapter select?? trying the various options but can find nothing for ?œHW settings??
??2 ??Using Cinebench release 20, I have found very little difference, as shown in the two attached screenshots, certainly very different to your colleagues measurements.
o     Default BIOS Settings (performance mode etc. Disabled), Cinebench min 3324 and max 3442
o     Optimised BIOS Settings (performance mode etc. Enabled), Cinebench min 3470 and max 3479
o     The ?œmin??delta of 146 is nowhere near as significant as your colleagues figures, with the ?œmax??deltas being even lower at just 37.
o     In my device the default BIOS benchmark values are much greater than your colleagues 3324 versus 3120, a delta of 204. I guess this comes down to individual CPUs.
??3 ??Your colleagues BIOS is P1.20, where the latest on your website and my current is P1.10
o     Making a direct comparison a bit meaningless, unless we both have the same BIOS versions
o     Is version P1.20 going to be available soon?
o     Is there a performance improvement with version P1.20?
o     In version P1.00, there wasn?™t even a setting for 180w power adapter...

Finally, if you look at the attached screenshot with the Noctua cooler, you?™ll see all of the temperatures well within acceptable levels... at least according to HWMonitor. And, with the fan running well below it?™s maximum of 2k RPM.

Sorry to keep asking questions...

Regards

Russell

R&R
??????

Sent: 29 October 2020 11:03
To: 'Russell'
Subject: RE: #DeskMini H470 Series# BFB / Overclocking / Performance (United Kingdom)

Hello,

My colleague has tested it. Here are the results:

Results are attached

Maybe you have another air cooler for testing?

Or if you have a table fan you can open the case a bit and try to let the fan blow in as much fresh air as possible. CPU temperature should be okay, but other components should get sufficient airflow as well for BFB to work optimally.

Regarding the display output in BIOS, can you please read out the EDID info via this tool?
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/monitor_info_view.html
If you can provide a report or screenshot showing the display and all supported resolutions that would be nice.

Thanks,
ASRock Support

Sent: 26 October 2020 11:41
To: 'Russell' <>
Subject: RE: #DeskMini H470 Series# BFB / Overclocking / Performance (United Kingdom)

Hello,

Sorry, I am not that familiar with this platform yet. CSM might not be available indeed, because all components support booting in UEFI mode.

I will ask my colleague to check this point as well. He is now waiting to get a sample to test with. Keep you updated??

Thanks,
ASRock Support

Sent: 23 October 2020 17:24
To: ASRock Support <support2@asrock.nl>

Hi,

Thanks for your response... Hopefully your colleague in Taiwan will get back to you early next week.

There is no ?œCSM??option in the BIOS settings, please see the screenshot below. I suspect this is due to the exclusive UEFI BIOS and using only compatible components... or the option has been removed in BIOS version P1.10

Regards

Russell

R&R
??????

Sent: 23 October 2020 15:48
To:

Hello,

Because I have no DeskMini H470 sample here to test with (yet), I will ask a colleague in Taiwan to have a look.

The BIOS displaying at 1024x768 could be related to the EDID info provided by the display. Please try:
BIOS > Boot > CSM > CSM > Disabled.
This might be the default setting already, not sure.
Any change?

Have a good weekend!
ASRock Support

ASRock Europe B.V.
Bijsterhuizen 1111
6546AR Nijmegen
The Netherlands

Sent: 22 October 2020 14:15
To: support2@asrock.nl
Subject: #DeskMini H470 Series# BFB / Overclocking / Performance (United Kingdom)

»Contact Information
Name:     Russell

Language:     English-Europe     Country:     United Kingdom
Phone:     +44
»Product Information
Problem Type:     Others
Model Name:     DeskMini H470 Series
BIOS Version:     P1.10
Purchase Date:     13 Oct, 2020     Serial Number:     D8HTX
»Configuration
CPU:     Intel I5 10600     Memory:     Crucial BL8G32C16S4B.M8FE 16GB DDR4-2666
Video Card:     Intel UHD 630,Onboard     HDD:     WDCWDS256G1X0C-00ENX0,M.2
ODD:     None,None     OS:     Windows 10 64-bit
Other Devices:     SanDisk SSD (SSDPLUS1000GB) Noctua NH-L9i with 25mm Fan Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 #3 WiFi 180W Power Supply
»Subject
BFB / Overclocking / Performance
»Problem Description
I have selected the following BIOS settings:
- Base Frequency Boost 90W
- Adaper set to 180W
- Performance mode selected
Comparing the actual performance using various CPU benchmarks, there is zero performance gain. The CPU never exceeds 70oC and the wattage reached a peak of 81W (measure by HWMonitor version 1.42.0)

Is there anything I have missed, in order to achieve maximum performance? Any suggestions will be welcome.

A secondary issue, the display is connected through DisplayPort and is multifrequency 4k capable (BenQ EW3270U) but the BIOS settings page only displays at 1024x768, regardless of the setting. Is there a "fix" to enable fullHD?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards

Russell
Welly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 10:06pm
BUMP
Welly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:52pm
AsRock,

Is this a support forum, as implied by the name?

If so, then where is the support?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:22pm
This is a community forum but ASRock Tech Support actually does post here from
time to time.

Your issue requires anyone trying to help have a DeskMini H470 to test with, I
don't own one so sadly can't be of much help. My only suggestion would be to
look at your temps, BFB relies on low thermals in order to permit higher boost
frequencies. While it raises the power limit it does not raise the thermal limit,
at least not as far as I am aware. If your system is tripping the thermal
threshold and downclocking every time you apply any significant load you wouldn't
see any performance gains on anything but the lightest of workloads and certainly
not in benchmarks. Within safe thresholds is not the same as within boost tolerance.
Welly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 8:04pm
So, a forum labelled "Technical Support" doesn't actually provide any technical support... Hmmm.

I guess that is in line with ASRock's technical support as they don't provide "technical support" either. At least, they have failed to give any positive responses to each of my emails and requests. Their European "technical support" don't even have a test unit!

I have provided ASRock support with detailed temperatures, power readings etc. (using HWiNFO64 v6.34) of all relevant components under various stress tests, including Intel's own CPU/GPU stress tests. They have not even bothered to respond, never mind give an opinion as to whether any temps could be a barrier or not.

I am however grateful for your response, at least you wrote something to indicate I'm not just posting to a bit bucket.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic