ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

5700 XT problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 9:49pm
Full system specs please.

Without knowing the rest of your components it's very difficult to figure out what
is going wrong. DDU was a solid suggestion but only rules out potential software
conflicts. If 2 separate GPUs have demonstrated the same issue then the problem
likely lies elsewhere in your system. I always suspect PSU first, particularly when
the PSU hasn't been listed by the person asking for help.
thelonegroover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelonegroover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:21pm
Ok, I'll cut through soeme of this. I'm an electronics engineer working in hardware design for the past 30 years so, although I don't have much understanding of windows-based pcs and BIOS configuration for PCIe, I do have a good understanding of power supplies and hardware in general. I don't really warm to snotty remarks such as "particularly when the PSU hasn't been listed by the person asking for help". The pc concerned was bought here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224176349815 and this page gives the hardware specification. I'll state the problem once more to avoid wasting anyone's time. The pc does not give any indication at all that any device is installed on the PCIe bus, so either the PCIe interface is defective or there is some obscure configuration that no one who's read this post has encountered before.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:08pm
No snotty remarks, people often list specs and leave the PSU out or are embarrassed
to admit they cheaped out on it, hence it being a valid assumption that a sub par
PSU could be at fault.

That link does not state the PSU's model, only a basic description. Active PFC is
promising that it may not be a dud but we need to know the make and model. I often
see off brand PSUs "rated" as much higher than they are. If your GPU isn't gettin
adequate power it could be failing to initialize or only partially initializing
which would fit with your description of the problem.

Another common issue with prebuilt PCs from unknown builders is a propensity to
use outdated PSUs that are not specced for modern hardware (higher 5v amps than
needed and not enough amps on the 12v rail).

Take a look at the PSU and see what make/model it is and let us know. I am about
70% certain it is where your problem lies.

Sorry if my post came off hostile, it was not intended to be. Posting on forums
is a far cry from conversing in person and things can all too easily be misunderstood.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelonegroover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:12pm
Thank you for your thoughtful reply, which was appreciated. I will look at the psu spec this evening. I am also going to test the pc with a standard NVidia display card (from a pc running on OpenGL3) to check the PCIe interface, so will post again this evening.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:25pm
Good luck and let us know how you fare with the Nvidia GPU. It may be worth noting
that some older Nvidia workstation (Quadro) GPUs don't work on newer boards. It's
odd because their Geforce counterparts work fine just not the Quadro variants. If
your tester card isn't a Quadro it should work, if it is a Quadro then it not
working may not be as a result of the issue you are having. I hope that makes
sense.

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Dec 2020 at 11:26pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelonegroover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 9:01am
Thanks - here's an update. The NVidia card was detected immediately, so the PCIe slot is working correctly. The psu is a PPS-650BR, which looks ok. A 5700 XT runs at about 290W full tilt. The pc is not doing anything much - there are no intensive background tasks going on and CPU use is low - so I can't see that the psu is running out of headroom. I msy take a DVM to it tomorrow and check the voltage rails but I'm not expecting to find anything odd. I've run though all possible Device Manager categories and there is nothing in any of them that looks like a device that Windows has misidentified (this happens with USB devices sometimes). Really stumped at this point!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:49pm
Just as I suspected, if you take a look at the user reviews on that PSU you will
see the vast majority of people using one for anything more than a basic system
(no dedicated GPU or a very weak one) have problems.

3 things to be on the look out for when buying a PSU:

1. Does it have an 80+ rating (the PPS-650BR does not)
2. Always check reviews on whatever unit you are considering (there are none
for this PSU which is a very bad thing, it means it's so cheap and nasty no one
bothered)
3. Check user reviews to see what other users experience with the unit has been
like beyond the media review usage window.

If your selection fails at any one of those points pick another one to check out.

Looking at the specs on that PSU is even more telling, as I noted in one of my
previous posts about new old stock. The PSU has a hefty 5v rail and weak 12v rails
which means it was designed for old, pre Pentium 4 and older systems. It has 2
very weak 12v rails, neither of which is capable of powering the 5700.
For any system with anything past a budget discrete GPU you want a PSU with a
potent, single 12v rail, in your case at least 50A.

Take that PSU out and send it off for recycling, it's a cheap and nasty scam that
relies on end user ignorance and a low price to sell. The fact that adverts for
it list it's RoHS compliance as a selling point should tell you all you need to
know. One would hope complies with Restriction of Hazardous Substances. RoHS
has nothing at all to do with performance, build quality or reliability.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Edited by Xaltar - 10 Dec 2020 at 3:51pm
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 4:12pm
PSU is one of , if not thee .. most most important items in any PC build .. never skimp on the PSU. This one, as Xaltar pointed out, seems like a big dud.. even if you have a bad 5700xt and that's why it's not being detected, definitely invest in an 80+, preferably Gold or better, PSU.

If your 5700xt is dead ..it's possible that your current PSU is the guilty party in it's untimely death .. Hopefully, getting a proper PSU in there, everything will automagically come to life for you.
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic