ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A88X+Killer RAM Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyAeroGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 1:51am
mmm, sounds good....

Update: Pulled 2 sticks amd set them aside. Put 2 sticks in A1/B1 and A2/B2 per manual. only 8 of 16Gb recognized in each case (!)

Put 2 sticks in A1/A2, 16Gb recognized (!)

Always resorts to single channel mode. Do I just have memory that don't like this MB, or vice versa?

IT almost seems like the B-Bank isn't being allowed to "contribute". IF this does point to the memory, I guess I can try to swap it out with something else. I'll start looking at the QVL and see what options there are.

Given this frustration, I AM fascinated to know what finally will work. I will look to see if there is a 2 stick 32Gb kit that is on the QVL.

I am running Win10x64 Pro with the latest updates, using that term loosely as it IS microshaft.

smh

Edited by GrumpyAeroGuy - 17 Jan 2016 at 1:52am
GrumpyAeroGuy
GrumpyAeroGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyAeroGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:06am
OK, I am toying with doing a WIn10 Reset. Couldn't hurt. I have 2 additional HDDs both partitioned into 2 logical drives, and I do cyclic image backups across all of them. So, I won't lose anything.

Just grasping at straws.

GrumpyAeroGuy
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:37am
Originally posted by GrumpyAeroGuy GrumpyAeroGuy wrote:

Put 2 sticks in A1/A2, 16Gb recognized (!)

Always resorts to single channel mode. Do I just have memory that don't like this MB, or vice versa?

For dual channel to work, you need to have the modules in pairs. The manual instructs you to use A1/B1 or A2/B2, which tells you how the modules are paired. In other words, the modules you've put in A1/A2 are not paired and this is why the memory is in single channel mode. You could try putting those two sticks in B1/B2 just to test if the machine boots at all.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 7:22am
Grumpy, I'm going to PM you right away.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyAeroGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 8:20am
just replied.
GrumpyAeroGuy
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 8:35am
Replied back

Have a good night.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyAeroGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:59am
BIG THANKS to @wardog for all of his help.

After a lot of advice and guidance from wardog, troubleshooting, pointing, as well as some scratching, it turns out that I had 2 bent pins on my processor. Took me 5 minutes and a quite powerful magnifiying glass before I found them. One was in the corner, and one was exacly along the edge of the processor. Go figure.

I tried to be very careful, but, somewhere, after taking this processor in and out numerous times, i did something that, to this day, I am not sure how I did it. As indicated, managed to bend two pins and hose it up.

The minute I discovered that, and replaced the processor, the machine fired to life, recognized all of the RAM, allowed an immediate SPD overclock of the memory to 2133MHz, and is just purring like a proverbial kitten.

Advice to others:

My machine, other than this interesting "half of the RAM recognized" issue, was running fine and there was no other indication that anything was wrong what-so-ever. Please don't rule out a bent pin or two as causing some strange wierdness that otherwise would never seem to point to an APU. Lesson learned.

So, to summarize, my system is blissfully happy configured as follows:

AMD-A10-7870K (Godovari)

G.Skill Sniper 32Gb (4x8GB), DDR3-2133 (PC3 17000), F3-2133C10Q-32GSR

ASRock FM2A88X+Killer

All works great together.

Again, thanks to wardog for all of his patience and help.

Happy computing/gaming!

GrumpyAeroGuy
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:33am
Nice job, wardog! I'm glad to hear the problem is resolved, even though bent pins are never good news.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Nice job, wardog!

In some instances it is much easier to press points over the phone rather than to ping pong our path through posting time consuming messages back and forth in forums. This was one of them.

Ol' Grumpy isn't so Grumpy now Tongue

Edited by wardog - 24 Jan 2016 at 3:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic