ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - B450m Steel Legend Safely Downgrade BIOS to 2.50?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450m Steel Legend Safely Downgrade BIOS to 2.50?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giancarlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450m Steel Legend Safely Downgrade BIOS to 2.50?
    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 9:08pm
TL;DR I wanna know if i can safely downgrade my bios from 2.90 to 2.50

Hi, a have a setup with asrock b450m steel legend, ryzen 7 2700 and a RX 580, and i'm having problems to boot the system. Every day i have to turn off the PSU and unplug displayport cable, then reset the bios using the pins on motherboard, then reconnect everything and turn on. That's the only way i can boot into system.

For more context, i have a SSD M.2 NVM-e for the system, and a HDD for storage. One day i turn the system on and the mobo didn't recognized any partition on SSD, and the name on bios was something like "Generic_ssd_device", so since then i have to do these steps i described above.

So i was looking if it could be a bios related issue, and i saw that the bios which came with my mobo was 2.90, which has a warning on asrock site saying that asrock dont recommend using it with Pinnacle ridge cpus (my case). So i was wondering if i could safely downgrade my bios to 2.50 (latest bios without that warning) and if i can do that without the need to boot into OS. Some bios also have this warning "User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.", mine doesn't have it but i fear downgrading it.
luxm4n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luxm4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 2:40am
Today I bought this same motherboard, it have AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Ready label on the box, of course it will be pre-upgraded BIOS to support it, but I'm still using AMD Ryzen 2000 Series (My previous motherboard is die), I know that new BIOS will causing issue with my old CPU.

I read that warning about downgrading on their official website, but I do it anyway because my system have stability issue (black screen crash), as far I know, yes it absolutly safe to downgrade the BIOS (I do it because I have experience), and yes I'm downgraded it to latest version without warning for Pinnacle user (2.50), I'm agree with that warning, the future proof AM4 socket is suck, we "forced" to upgrade the CPU anyway with any way, in this case, BIOS related issue (bug), the backward compatibility will never stable due to limited capacity/space of BIOS Chip itself (msi double it on the Max series).

The problem is, sometimes they found some vulnerability issue and they patch that some security hole and fix some bug or even optimize the UEFI BIOS on the latest version, but we (Pinnacle Ridge user) can't get it because our CPU are too far away (obsolete).

I'm fine with Pinnacle Ridge, and don't have plan to upgrade the CPU.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic