ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H470M-ITX/ac: No display on boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenJonSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H470M-ITX/ac: No display on boot
    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 3:23am
Hi All,

Firstly, let me prefix this with the fact I haven't built a PC from the ground up for years, only replacing parts as upgrades.

I ordered the following list of parts, and have installed them all:
- InWin IW-MS04 chassis
- ASRock H470M-ITX/ac
- Intel i5-10600
- CRYORIG C7 Cooler
- 16Gb (2x 8Gb) Micron 1RX8 PC4-2666V-U DDR4 2666 PC4-21300U 288pin NON ECC Memory
- Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250Gb

I've got it all together, and checked everything is seated correctly. However, when I plug in a keyboard, HDMI, and power it doesn't display anything. I get the blue LED in my power button, and the case and CPU fans spin up, but that is all. I am just waiting with the CMOS battery out and the pins jumpered to see if a reset helps, but I can't say I am hopeful.

Any suggestions, aside from trying the Display Port (as I don't have a compatible cable to hand)? I also don't have a speaker, I note the MOBO doesn't have one, I have ordered one now but it will be a few days before it arrives.
Steven Smith
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 4:24am
Try another HDMI cable, some older cables don't support the newer standard.
StevenJonSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenJonSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Try another HDMI cable, some older cables don't support the newer standard.

Just tried another cable and still no joy, it's definitely doing something as the TV recognises the input is "live" but there is no signal. The HDMI cables I tried are ones used for a PS4 and Xbox One, so I'd expect them to function with this also.
Steven Smith
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:34pm
What PSU are you running and is the 8pin CPU power hooked up? I know it's probably
a stupid question but it needs to be asked.

The RAM seems to be single rank Micron based so in theory it should work and the
10600 is supported on all BIOS revisions so we are not dealing with an unsupported
CPU.

Do you happen to have a dedicated GPU you can put in the system to test with?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenJonSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 6:23pm

What PSU are you running and is the 8pin CPU power hooked up? I know it's probably
a stupid question but it needs to be asked.

I understand, I work in IT and deal with silly oversights everyday, but in this case it is all plugged in. I'm using the PSU which came with the case, it's an InWin IP-S AU series, [URL=https://www.in-win.com/en/pc-power-supply/ip-s-series-au/USA]https://www.in-win.com/en/pc-power-supply/ip-s-series-au/USA[/URL], 265W 80 plus bronze.

Do you happen to have a dedicated GPU you can put in the system to test with?

Unfortunately not my only other hardware is a laptop, which is quite old.
Steven Smith
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:11pm
Well, aside from trying a Display Port cable the only other thing I can think of
you can try short of returning/replacing parts (RAM etc) is to pull the CMOS battery
and give the system a full clear. Power disconnected (press power button for a
few secs to discharge caps), battery out, clear CMOS and let it sit for 10 - 20 mins.
Sometimes this gets things up and running, I tend to do this with all new boards
out of the box to rule out BIOS issues caused by saved settings from a different
config.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StevenJonSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:35pm
Thank you for all your help. I had previously tried swapping RAM around, and I cleared the CMOS last night.

This morning I removed one RAM stick, the NVME drive, and the reset switch connector. It will now boot to the BIOS, so I just need to slowly replace bits until it won't boot again.

Thank you again.
Steven Smith
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic