ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Linux keep reboot on deskmini X300

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xudas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linux keep reboot on deskmini X300
    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 9:45pm
Linux, no matter ubuntu 20.04 or 20.10, or linux mint or other, reboot randomly even less than 10 mins after boot. only boot from bios menu by select the linux entry will maintain stable for the whole session.
it's common issue posted by many users on [URL=https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/k0qs8t/stability_issues_with_asrock_deskmini_x300_and/]reddit[/URL]
manjaro even do not boot after installation.

Windows 10 running on the X300 is very stable, no matter boot from poweron button, hibernate, or bios.

config: X300 with 4650G and 8Gx2 micron mem, and 1T WD 550 nvme
rkg456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkg456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:20pm
I just bought an X300W barebone kit that arrived 6-10-21 from Amazon and set it up with an AMD 4650G, 16gb (8gbx2) DDR4-3200 with 500gb nvme drive. I also had a 1tb SATA drive in sata port 2.

I got windows 10 pro installed and started the updates and it rebooted. logged back on went to updates again and it froze.. Had to manually power down. After 3 times of this it would not post again until I re-seated the ram, and NVME. I then noticed a bunch of Critical Kernel Power Errors that mentioned updating the manufacturer firmware. I updated the bios from 1.40 to 1.60. No change. Still freezes up and the updates will not pull. I am not sure what other firmware the windows errors would be referring to.

I have tried clocking the ram at a lower speed, that helps a little but it still freezes up after 5-10 minutes.

I saw a forum post that mentioned dropping the sata drive from slot 2. So I did, now only have the NVME.. no change. Still freezing and having to hard boot.

I have had this barebone system for less than 8 hours and am fed up. Will try to see if Amazon will let me return it.   This is the worst system experience ever and I am an IT professional.

The sad thing is I have wasted a Windows 10 pro license on this build so I would prefer to resolve the issue.
xudas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xudas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 4:20pm
Solved.
The key is to update the kernel to the newest one, as soon as installation completed.
xudas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xudas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 4:21pm
I thought it might be the ram related problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic