ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem Overclocking with Sky OC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldfries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem Overclocking with Sky OC
    Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:03pm
Hello,

Need help with my OCing.

I'm using an Intel Core i3 6100 with Z170 Pro4 running on latest BIOS firmware (updated via UEFI, connected through network).

I am able to increase the BCLK speed but when I do, even a slight increase from 100 to 101 or 102 would result in multiplier drop from 37 to 36.

I have no idea why. I've tried disabling various stuff in the system but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
goldfries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldfries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:07pm
ADDED INFO.

Upon entering BIOS. 

at 101 BCLK it will show 3636. 

Now if I enter the OC Tweaker > CPU CONFIG > BCLK Frequency and re-key in the BCLK at 101, it will update the TARGET CPU to 3737. 

That's fine, until I reboot, it goes back to 36. 
goldfries.com - tech made simple
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:43pm
Can you put back the multiplier to 37 using a-tuning in windows?
That's assuming you are using Windows

If not just set a higher bclk to overcome the lower multiplier.
Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:06pm
You should be able to use XTU (intel Extreme tuning utility) in windows to bump it back to 37. So far as I am aware the drop in multi is a safety device but you can usually set it back to its correct value using either XTU or ASRock A-Tuning.
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:31pm
I'm not sure if it's just me but XTU on my 6600 (non-k) does not allow me to change anything.
I got rid of it pretty fast though thinking Intel would not want a non-k cpu to be oveclocked via one of their tools.
I might need to reinstall and give it another go. 

Is there any tool allowing overclock to onboard gpu? I know some expensive asrock z170 board have that option but I could never figure out if it's just enabled for K processors or a limitation of my board, or both.

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:04pm
I am in the opposite situation to you Peroni, I have a 6600k on an H170 board so that may be why I have access to the multi in XTU, albeit maxed at stock values. I am afraid without a locked CPU and a Z170 board I couldn't tell you for sure what functions are disabled in XTU with that combo. 
goldfries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldfries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:33pm
OK finally ....... ...FINALLY I found out that..........

I NEED A GRAPHICS CARD TO USE SKY OC.

I thank all of you for putting your input.

I got tired of trying, then I came across Anandtech's article saying

"Though it is worth noting that any BCLK overclock on this scale will result in the integrated graphics being disabled automatically by Intel's VGA driver if it is installed - before installation, the integrated graphics can still function I am being told."

That prompted me to place a graphics card on the system and voila, the actual SKY OC stuff appears on screen. I thought I was using SKY OC with just BCLK adjustment.

Well whatever, I got the Core i3-6100 to run stable at 4.5Ghz with 37 x 122Mhz. I'm using HyperX Savage DDR4-3000 but the best speed I can get is around 2600. 2800 - 3000 range would result in no-boot. 
goldfries.com - tech made simple
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:35pm
4.5ghz is a nice overclock, especially for a locked CPU Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic