ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD RX 6800 XT Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD RX 6800 XT Taichi
    Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 12:20pm
So My Asrock 6800 XT Taichi suddenly stopped working in the middle of a video render. It still sends out a video signal but will crash the moment any game or video editor is started. I have re-installed Radeon software and have tried in a different computer but to no avail. It seems it crashes the moment power draw exceeds ~ 50 watts. I have tried switching from P to Q BIOS and vice-a-versa but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I rely on this bad boy for my living as a video editor.
Thanks you
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 5:12pm
The first thing I would do is swap in another PSU to test with. It sounds like yours
has degraded and is losing stability once the draw exceeds a certain amount.

If the GPU was not showing a display at all or was artifacting badly then I would
suspect that but that isn't the case.

What PSU are you using with the system and what are the rest of your specs£
Zed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:08pm
Hi yes that's the first thing I did, I am using a Thermaltake 850 Watt PSU and I tried with a ROG Strix 850 and then I tried the card in my roommate's 750 Watts system (he's running a ASUS STRIX 6800 XT) and had the same result. Card crashes soon as any graphically intense program starts.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 11:07pm
If it is exhibiting the same behavior on multiple systems, RMA it. Try through the
retailer you purchased it from first, if that isn't possible contact ASRock through
their website.

While it could be something as simple as the cooler not having enough mounting
pressure or a bad thermal pad, it isn't worth risking your warranty to fix it
yourself, particularly if there is no guarantee you will succeed.
Zed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 11:18pm
I bought it from a scalper so don't have a receipt :( Worst case, I will try to RMA it but can't afford to be w/o a GPU for weeks as i need it for work and it's impossible to get anything these days. That's why i paid a fortune for this one....
Any other suggestions to try would be greatly welcomed and appreciated
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 1:23am
Your best bet is to check over the card, make sure the cooler isn't loose, check
for any excessive dust build up etc.

How long did it function correctly before the issue started£ This is important
because if it worked fine for days to weeks then suddenly stopped that is bad news.
However if it exhibited this behavior within a few days of installation it could
be a simple fix as I mentioned above, loose screws, thermal pad out of place due
to improper handling in shipping etc.

Examine it closely for anything that looks out of place.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic