ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H81M non-z oc pentium g3258

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiamG6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H81M non-z oc pentium g3258
    Posted: 27 May 2015 at 9:18am
Does the asrock h81m support non z overclocking on Intel pentium g3258?

If not, then which asrock h81 boards do support g3258 oc?

Thank you
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:26pm
I know for certain that all the "Anniversary" branded boards support it but there isn't an H81 Anniversary board available, at least not yet. I suspect the H81M-G and H81 Pro-G may support it given they are touted as a "gaming boards". According to the manuals for the above 2 boards it should be supported as well as on the ASRock H81M-VG4 R2.0. Just be carefull, not all H81 boards, from Asrock or any other vendor support the G3258 out of the box and many require a bios update to run the CPU. Be sure to check out whatever board you plan to get on the Asrock/other vendor's site and look at CPU compatibility. If you really want to get the most out of your G3258 though you will want to look at a Z97 board like the Z97 Anniversary, it isn't a whole lot more expensive in most countries and will offer more overclocking options as well as the ability to run your RAM at speeds higher than 1400mhz (all sub Z97/Z87 boards limit you to 1400 with G32XX and Celeron CPUs). 

I am using an Asrock B85 Anniversary with my G3258 and for a moderate overclock (for the G3258 anyway) it does the job well but its bios options are limited and I feel I may have been able to squeeze a bit more out of it if my board had a more in depth OC section. Still 4.3ghz up from 3.2 is a huge boost in performance even if I can't OC it any further. If you plan on getting anything less than a Z97 don't expect to pass about 4.2/4.3ghz, that seems to be the trend from all the info I have looked at lately. A lot of people expect they will be able to hit 4.8ghz on air with the G3258 because of all the earlier reviews but that is simply unrealistic. Also worth noting is that a lot of the G3258 reviews are performed on water cooling so pumping 1.7v into the CPU to get 4.8 stable is not as terrible as it would be on air. 

I would not recommend anything over 1.4v on air cooling and for a 24/7 OC I would recommend keeping it around ~1.3v to ensure your CPU lasts. The binning of the G3258 seems to have worsened over time if you look at the numerous forum posts on various tech sites complaining that their G3258 won't pass 4.1 - 4.4ghz where earlier posts tout 4.6 - even 5.0ghz. So if you can, try and get an earlier batch CPU. 

I find the best way to determine overclocking features of a given board is to check its manual on its product page. I am sure Asrock will post to confirm even more boards that will do what you want though so hang tight :)
LiamG6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiamG6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:45pm
Thanks for the response. I'm actually looking at cheap H81 boards with enabled non-z overclocking because I'm wanting to test thermoelectric cooling. This requires me to insulate the motherboard and I don't really want to do that to an expensive Z87/97 board. In the past I've heard that the Asrock H81M-HDS, H81 PRO BTC, plus some others have been able to overclock the G3258 and they don't appear to have a limitation on the Vcore like some other brands which is great. Any idea if the H81 Pro BTC is still capable of OC? I haven't heard of any changes from intel to the microcode of the chips and the asrock bios should still support it. 

I wanted to know more about the straight H81M because the layout around the cpu socket looked more suited to insulation and also it just seemed better than the H81M-HDS and it's only $3 more here but I hadn't heard any reports of OCing ability on it if its even possible. 

Since then I've actually found an Asrock H81 Pro BTC board for $59 though, $11 less than the H81M and I know it was able to OC the G3258 in the past, hopefully it still can. The cheapest Z board I can find in Australia is $120 which is pretty good but if I don't need it to overclock I'm quite happy with the H81 chipset. I'm aware I may need to update the bios to run the G3258 but it may support it out of the box, I have access to an earlier Haswell chip if I need. I have an SR1V0 Costa Rica 3412B733 G3258, I'll have to see how well it overclocks when I get the H81 Pro BTC. 

I only have 1600mhz DDR3 so the 1400 limit is fine, it's a budget build just to have some fun and test stuff. It would be nice if broadwell was supported on this chipset, thats not guarenteed but that doesn't bother me, if it does, bonus, if not, no worries. Broadwell is really low TDP so its perfectly suited for thermoelectric cooling as opposed to Haswell DC or later Skylake.

Will update when I get the pro btc. Hopefully all works well and get about 4.4-4.5ghz, maybe more if the thermoelectric cooling allows it or if its a good cpu.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:52pm
Broadwell requires an H97/Z97. There is very little difference between the 8 and 9 series. Sadly the only change of note is made specifically to support Broadwell. Intel has stated that Broadwell will not work on 8 series chipsets and review sites seem to be of the opinion that this information is correct. Intel often says something is impossible only for it to turn out possible but in this case the changes to the chipset are power related and the 8 series do not support these changes even with bios updates.

Edited by Xaltar - 28 May 2015 at 12:53pm
LiamG6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiamG6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:12pm
I thought it was skylake that had the power changes, moving VRM off chip hence needed Z170 mobo?

I'm not aware of power differences of Broadwell. Maybe its the Iris Pro GPU and L4 cache/eDram that necessitate the H97/Z97 chipset.

Either way no biggy. I was thinking it might be just smoke and mirrors from Intel to prompt upgrades to H/Z97 and with a bios update to 8 series mobo would run Broadwell, still possible but I'm not bothered if it doesn't, just looking to have fun for now :D
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:18pm
With the g3258 you will definitely have fun Thumbs Up
There is just something about cranking up the multi and seeing a 3.2ghz CPU post at 5ghz. I can post @5.0 but get an instant BSOD trying to boot hehe. Still, fun to see. I would expect about 4.2ghz at an acceptable vcore with anything over that being a bonus with these little guys. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic