ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another 970M Pro3 Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another 970M Pro3 Question
    Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 11:20am
I've got question that only gets more confusing the more I read about it. Setup is 970 board with FX6300 processor, EVO 212 cooler w/push/pull fan setup. Currently not OC'd (I do play around with it sometimes to see what it will do for intensive tasks).
 I know the cpu temps are figured by some calculation method by AMD.  Asrock OC utility shows an average temp about 20C above all aftermarket monitors. Does the Asrock temp (matches the HWmonitor  in bios) report the socket temp or the cpu temp? I was pushing it to 70C before I noticed the difference and I'm concerned about damage to the cpu. It doesn't want to push as far as before.
 Currently I have the offset in core temp @ +20C but is often going to 50C under light load fan level 6. I am going to redo the thermal paste but I'm wondering if a +20C is fairly accurate to use or if the Asrock utility just measures socket temp.  
The more you learn the less you know.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 11:27am
+20 is a bit high for an Offset. 6-12, maybe 13 is what I'm used to seeing here.

Sure you're not getting Socket and CPU temps confused?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 11:28am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Sure you're not getting Socket and CPU temps confused?

I could believe 20c difference between Socket and CPU/Core.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 11:30am
AMD Over-Drive, nothing beats a util produced by the manufacturer.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive
spacednow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 12:27pm
Not sure where the asrock tuner utility is getting the reading from, other than it matches what the bios HW monitor shows..... Will try overdrive, always use it on the phenom processors.  Thanks
The more you learn the less you know.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 2:34pm
If it matches the BIOS reading, then it's the socket temperature. 70 C is as high as you want to go, and if you're not running Prime95 or similar, you shouldn't really be seeing temperatures that high on a stock system. Otherwise your socket cooling is insufficient, although apart from possible instability I don't think there's much danger to the components. The CPU itself will become unstable well before it's in danger of being damaged due to high temperatures.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic