ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screen Blanking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screen Blanking
    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 8:49am
I have an issue after adding a VisionTek Radeon RX560 $Gb graphics card and I think I know what the issue is. Hoping someone can confirm.

I know that flickering and blanking could be due to drivers, issues with the MB and even a bad out of the box graphics card. I don't believe this to be the case with me.

Here is my system which I use for a lot of things including audio video editing and graphics editing:
Asrock H97M Pro MB.
Intel Gen 4 i7-4790 CPU
New VisionTek Radeon RX 560 4GB GDDR 5 supports up to 4 4K monitors
1 28" 1080p monitor
2 28" 4k monitors.
20 GB of RAM
One 1TB HD
1 4TB HD
1 16TB HD
Corsair CM 450 PSU

While using the system even if just moving the mouse I experience blanking of the monitors and maybe a flicker or two. If I'm not doing anything with the system. I don't experience any of this. It just happens when using the system. Prior to adding the graphics card I was just using the onboard video with two 1080p monitors and never had this issue. Also, when using a lower end graphics card, no issues.

This is what I think is happening. With all the hardware I have running like 3 hard drives and the graphics card, I suspect the demand on the PSU is at the cusp and when I start doing anything, its just not enough to adequately power the graphics card so it chokes.

I have already ordered a beefier PSU as I can't think that it could be anything else.

Any other suggestions, outside of the new card being faulty and issues with the MB, would be appreciated. I have great confidence that it isn't the MB or the new card and am leaning heavily to the PSU.

Thanks.

--
Bob
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 5:53pm
A decent 450w PSU should be enough for that system but if it is older and been in
use for a while, it's a solid plan to get a beefier one. It could potentially be
behind the issue as you said.

If you have not already, try some different cables to the displays. Idealy mix
things up, DP where you had HDMI before etc. See if that helps. A bad HDMI/DP
cable can also cause blanking (shorts in the signal chain).
rjunke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:43pm
The PSU is several years old. All the cabling is brand new, none-the-less, I tried swapping cables, tried using HDMI vs DisplayPort, Tried different ports on the card, etc. The old 1080p monitor will flicker but doesn't blank out while the new 4k monitors are doing their blanking spasms. When the 4k monitors are disconnected from the card, the 1080p monitor functions flawlessly.

I reconnected the 24" 1080p monitor to the card and both monitors are working flawlessly. It's highly unlikely that two new monitors are bad.

The new PSU arrives today. If that doesn't fix the issue then it has to be the video card and I will return it and purchase another, maybe one that isn't AMD. If replacing the video card doesn't solve the problem then the only thing left is the MB (ugh!!).

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

A decent 450w PSU should be enough for that system but if it is older and been in use for a while, it's a solid plan to get a beefier one. It could potentially be behind the issue as you said.

If you have not already, try some different cables to the displays.
Idealy mix things up, DP where you had HDMI before etc. See if that helps.
A bad HDMI/DP cable can also cause blanking (shorts in the signal chain).
--
Bob
rjunke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 3:38am
As much as I wanted the problem to be the PSU, it wasn't. All ports work fine on this card with two 1080p monitors I have. The 4K monitors will not work correctly with this card. I have tested the monitors on other 4k video sources and they work fine so its not the monitors.

I will be purchasing another video card and returning this one.
--
Bob
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 1:56am
Sorry to hear it, good luck with the new GPU.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic