ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fans Spin for a second, then off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenghooda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fans Spin for a second, then off
    Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:33pm
Hello,
Hoping you are well.
I have Fatal1ty Z87 Professional.
The fans light up and spin for a second, and the power lights and HDD light come on briefly, then the PC shuts off. and that Repeats, then after several times the PC boots, After that sometimes PC reboots on its on while on windows.

I Suspected the PSU I bought three months ago "CORSAIR RM750"
So I bought another one "Seasonic GM850" the issue was not resolved fully but less repeats before boot.

I also changed the motherboard battery and cleaned RAM socket according to some advice I found but still the issue persists.

Please Advise.
Thank you for your continued support, Stay Safe :)
Best Regards,
Eng Hooda
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:30am
Your best bet is to troubleshoot old school. If the looping before boot happens
every time then disconnect everything other than CPU and one stick of RAM. Use
the display output on your board and see if you POST without looping.

If you are still looping try the other stick of RAM. If after that you still have
the issue try removing the CPU and check the socket for any debris, flattened pins
or warping on the CPU itself. Sometimes if the mounting pressure is too much the
CPU can press down on the pins too hard or the substrate can warp.

Also make sure you swap out all your SATA cables, bad SATA cables can cause all
kinds of issues.

Let us know how it goes.
eenghooda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenghooda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:30am
One more thing,
After when the PC starts to boot after that behavior, I get a black screen with the following message:

"
The System failed to boot several times before.
You may press F2 to reconfigure your system
Or UEFI will continue to boot after 5 seconds..
"
eenghooda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenghooda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Your best bet is to troubleshoot old school. If the looping before boot happens
every time then disconnect everything other than CPU and one stick of RAM. Use
the display output on your board and see if you POST without looping.

If you are still looping try the other stick of RAM. If after that you still have
the issue try removing the CPU and check the socket for any debris, flattened pins
or warping on the CPU itself. Sometimes if the mounting pressure is too much the
CPU can press down on the pins too hard or the substrate can warp.

Also make sure you swap out all your SATA cables, bad SATA cables can cause all
kinds of issues.

Let us know how it goes.

I have always used that old school troubleshooting method with my old Pentium 3 PC and it is still working till now running Windows XP.

What is weird about my issue that it is not persistent and I am writing this from the same PC that has the issue.

I did not try to remove the CPU , I will do that and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you a lot for you support :)
eenghooda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenghooda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 12:17pm
My issue seems to be gone today, PC boots without looping.
nothing changed.
I did not remove the CPU yet.

Should I ?

I have a third party heat-sink installed a couple of years ago, And that was tricky to install and I'd rather not to disassemble.

I may do it any way just to make sure everything is fine and may be put a new layer of thermal paste.
eenghooda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenghooda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 4:59pm
Looping is back again!
Also PC boots after.

still did not remove the CPU yet.

I wonder if there is some diagnostic information that can give me a hint about the cause in UEFI BIOS ?
eenghooda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenghooda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 11:29pm
I just removed the CPU and cleaned it, Socket pins are in a good shape , put a new layer of thermal paste.
Installed cooler master MasterAir Pro 4 heat sink which is mounted lightly by spring loaded screws.

The next boot I got about five boot loops some were longer and I got the mother board red splash screen then it rebooted again and I got the message:
"
The System failed to boot several times before.
You may press F2 to reconfigure your system
Or UEFI will continue to boot after 5 seconds..
"
and after that PC booted and I am writing this reply using it.

this is still a weird issue, Which I hope to find a resolution for and an exact cause to fix, Since I will be leaving my PC unattended and access it remotely while I will be away for work.

Any hints are highly appreciated , Thanks in advance.

eenghooda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenghooda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 1:39am
Hello,
An update:
yesterday was the longest boot loop , PC boot after almost an hour of looping.
Today I get only one fan spin with each power button push PC not booting at all.
Also case fan connected to CHA_FAN3 does not spin at all other case fans spin.

Just borrowed another working 1150 socket PC and old school troubleshooting it is.
swapped CPU and RAM , my CPU and RAM worked on the other motherboard.
The other CPU and RAM did not make any difference with my ASRock motherboard only one fan spin with each power button push and nothing else.

Tried using clear CMOS push button as described in the manual.
UEFI settings seems to be cleared now it does not try to boot when AC power is restored as I have set it up before.

I am writing this reply from my laptop.

Any Clues ?

Or should I just look for a used motherboard to make use of my CPU and RAM ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic