ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470D4U M2_1 Not Detected

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonjpeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470D4U M2_1 Not Detected
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:29am
This week everything I needed to build my homelab server arrived and got it put together.

The System:
ASRock Rack X470D4U
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
64GB Crucial Ballisitx 3200Mhz DDR4 (CL16) (Runs at 2666Mhz)
x2 WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB SSD - SATA3
x2 WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe PCIe SSD
BMC: 2.20.00
BIOS: L4.21
PSP: 0.20.0.27

The Problem:
While everything pretty much works and the system boots one drive seated in the M2_1 slot consistently states "Not Detected" in the BIOS and is not seen by the OS (Proxmox). I have switched both drive positions to to test if it's a faulty SSD, it is not as they both work seated in the M2_2 slot.

I have confirmed with WD that the drive despite it being Gen3 is backward compatible with Gen2, and I do know it will work in M2_1 as randomly the drive is detected and is usable (until rebooted).

Aside from these drives and what's on-board, I have no other PCIe devices attached.

Is there somewhere in the BIOS I would be able to set to load the M2_1 slot consistently (everything is set to the default "Auto" currently)?
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:05pm
so both drives are always detected in M2_2? .. and both drives inconsistently seen in M2_1? .. is M2_2 occupied when testing M2_1? (they should both work with an NVMe drive installed but just curious)

I run this motherboard in my TrueNAS server with a 3700x, 4 x 16GB ECC UDIMM's and a 32GB M.2 SATA in M2_2 (boot drive), and a 256GB M.2 NVMe in M2_1 (Jail drive) .. same beta BIOS and BMC without issue.

I had some initial wonkyness with RAM detection .. 1 stick did not work with initial 2 x 16GB matching ECC kit .. other stick worked fine. I ran with one stick and setup an RMA and ordered a replacement kit (different manufacturer).

Updated the BIOS and BMC and installed TrueNAS .. on a whim I thought I'd try my "bad" stick again and it worked just fine all of a sudden. Got my other kit and isntalled them too and they all work just fine even being mismatched pairs.

Have you tried popping the battery out and reseting the BIOS per the manual?

Clear CMOS Pad
(CLRMOS1)
(see p.7, No. 25)
This allows you to clear the
data in CMOS. To clear CMOS,
take out the CMOS battery and
short the Clear CMOS Pad.
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
jasonjpeters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonjpeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:41am
Yes, I purchased two matching M.2 devices (WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe PCIe SSD) and when either was seated in the M2_2 they would be loaded. I did try to use only M2_1 and the devices would only show up a hand full of times during boot. I also used it with both drives seated with the same results.

I did not try the CMOS reset. I discussed the issue with ASRock and ended up RMA the board. Crazy detail was the tech I have been working with tested it out and it worked. However they are replacing the board regardless. Now just waiting for that.

Other than the M2_1 thing, I had no issues. Even was able to deal with the CPU cooler clearance by using a Cooler Master AIO.

I am quite anxious to get the board back so I can start using it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic