ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

I think I have a problem with my motherboard.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think I have a problem with my motherboard.
    Posted: 28 May 2015 at 6:15am
Specs.
ASROCK 990FX Extreme 9 mobo :Bios ver. 1.70
AMD FX 8350 Eight Core 
Geforce GTX 670
16GB DDR3 RAM
120SSD Sata
600gig HDD sata.
CD/DVD sata.
Windows 7 64bit.

So everything is up to date, all the drivers are loaded and it seems to work. I recently wiped and reloaded everything on my computer just a week ago because it was in need. 

Now the issue I'm having is that the computer isn't performing like it should, I run the benchmark "Performance Test 8.0" from Passmarks website and all of my benchmarks are no where near where they should be. My CPU is performing under half of what it should, as well as the GPU and the RAM. The only thing that is performing well seems to be the hard drives. All of these numbers are compared to the www.cpubenchmark.netwebsite.
My computer gets a passmark Rating of 2757.7. My older brother ran the same test of which my computer should score higher, and his passed my score by like 2000points.
The CPU mark is 6783. The benchmark on the website is just shy of 9000 points.
The GPU mark is 2761. The benchmark on the website is 5386.
My Memory mark is 1166 and again is underperforming compared to my brothers computer which has less ram than my own does.
Again the disk mark for my Kingston SH103S3120g SATA drive is 4006, right where it should be.

I can't play any games without massive choppiness and framerate issues. Most single player games run okay, but when I try to play games like Tera (MMO) or H1Z1 I have to play on medium to low settings, and I shouldn't have to be doing that. I'm not sure what is wrong with my computer and I'm in need of some help. 

Thank you.
MrSir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:33am
I know it's a stereotypical question but have you installed the latest drivers for your CPU and GPU?

I have the same motherboard and CPU but I have an AMD r9 290x. I like AMD because the CPU and GPU drivers come in the same neat package where as you have to find the AMD and Nvidea drivers separately yourself.

Let me know.
Illegalseagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illegalseagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Cricut Cricut wrote:

Specs.
ASROCK 990FX Extreme 9 mobo :Bios ver. 1.70
AMD FX 8350 Eight Core 
Geforce GTX 670
16GB DDR3 RAM
120SSD Sata
600gig HDD sata.
CD/DVD sata.
Windows 7 64bit.

So everything is up to date, all the drivers are loaded and it seems to work. I recently wiped and reloaded everything on my computer just a week ago because it was in need. 

Now the issue I'm having is that the computer isn't performing like it should, I run the benchmark "Performance Test 8.0" from Passmarks website and all of my benchmarks are no where near where they should be. My CPU is performing under half of what it should, as well as the GPU and the RAM. The only thing that is performing well seems to be the hard drives. All of these numbers are compared to the www.cpubenchmark.netwebsite.
My computer gets a passmark Rating of 2757.7. My older brother ran the same test of which my computer should score higher, and his passed my score by like 2000points.
The CPU mark is 6783. The benchmark on the website is just shy of 9000 points.
The GPU mark is 2761. The benchmark on the website is 5386.
My Memory mark is 1166 and again is underperforming compared to my brothers computer which has less ram than my own does.
Again the disk mark for my Kingston SH103S3120g SATA drive is 4006, right where it should be.

I can't play any games without massive choppiness and framerate issues. Most single player games run okay, but when I try to play games like Tera (MMO) or H1Z1 I have to play on medium to low settings, and I shouldn't have to be doing that. I'm not sure what is wrong with my computer and I'm in need of some help. 

Thank you.

I MAY know what's going on here...are you reading the dialog box yellow colored "comprehensive score"?  I had a similar freakout.  Screenshot that, and then click OK.  Then click the tabs on the program...when you drill into say, CPU, you should get a CPU score that is more inline with your online comparisons.  Forgive me if I'm off base here, but that may be what's going on.  My overall score was less than half what I expected, then I dug deeper and got a Much better ansewr :)  I hope this helps, I really do

EDIT:  I'm sorry, I see you found the separate scores already.  

Edited by Illegalseagull - 28 May 2015 at 11:43am
ASROCK Z97M OC Formula
Intel i5 - 4690K @ 4.5ghz
Stable Overclock
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:37pm
I am assuming this is not a new build given your component list so lets have a look at whats going on here.
For a start you need to have a look at your operating temps, what are your temps for your CPU and GPU? What you are describing could be thermal throttling and seeing as you are able to play single player games (GPU bound) while multiplayer games give issues (more CPU bound) I am guessing your CPU may be running too hot. 

Make sure you clean out your heatsink on your CPU and GPU. I recently pulled the CPU cooler on my Phenom II and boiled it (without the fan) to remove residue from its fins and my temps dropped by 10c at load. 

Failing temps being the issue you may be looking at driver issues as MrSir mentioned.
Cricut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:31pm
I keep my fans clean and i just recently cleaned them.
i thought that might be an issue too so i run HWMonitor when i play games and the temp never ever rises above 70C.
my CPU and GPU are both up to date as well. i previously wiped the computer and reloaded everything i made sure it was updated by downloading from the ASROCK website.
i also put in a ticket to ASROCK tech support but haven't heard anything back in a week so i posted here.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:56am
70c is too hot, if memory serves the FX 8350 throttles around there. You should be shooting for 55c load, anything more will shorten the life of the CPU with the FX 8XXX range. I know it can be confusing seeing people running intel cpus with 80 - 85c load temps but the FX has a lower thermal limit. I could not find an official limit but most tech forums suggest better cooling if you are over 60c at load.

If you can bring down your temps and still have issues check through your event logs and see if you are getting any warnings or errors. If nothing shows up there try booting your system with minimal peripherals, IE just your CPU, 1 stick of ram, boot drive and GPU. If you start running better with that then its a simple matter of elimination to determine the fault. If its still slow try another boot drive, different GPU and if possible different CPU each in turn. Though you did say your drives are performing to spec so its likely not your storage. Also try reconnecting all your motherboard components and connectors.

TryHardTex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TryHardTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:00pm
Yeah, if you have access to evga's ocscanner and happen to be using 8.1 run the cpu burn in option and watch your CPU frequency to see if you're throttling.

At what frequency are you running the cpu? and have you made sure your at just enough voltage to keep it stable without too much to add heat?

Also, I've only built two amd rigs but, all in all every build I've put together, regardless of cpu brand, for personal gaming, they've all required a new cooler; even if it's a lower end alternative.

I play H1z1 now and then on the 8320 I last built with no shutter problem w/ gtx 750ti. I also play planetside 2 on it a few times a week and rarely dip in the 70 fps area, more often than not since they've updated the game better utilize multiple cores and have me GPU bound, I find myself in the 170-200 range. My temps are 36-38 putting around in windows, and I've seen it 60-62 after several hour sessions of prime-time mmo fps gaming. I put a Hyper T2 cooler on my cpu and added a fan blowing in on the I/O area, attaching it on the top pci slot on the case among other air flow mods.
Cricut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 12:26am
Ran the scanner, CPU doesnt overheat. Doesn't get throttled either when the CPU burner was going. My frequencies are fine when I run specific benchmarks, but when I try to run a game or have everything used together none of the components work as well as they should.  Doing the CPU burner the utilization gets to 100%,  but if I run the benchmark option for OC scanner it doesn't pass 45% utilization, nor does my GPU.  It doesn't over heat either. I have multiple fans running and heat is never an issue.  I'm not sure what the cause it.  If it was a heat issue when I did the CPU burner for 5+mins it would have throttled it, but it never did.

I'm just confused and at a loss. I don't know what the problem could be.
Shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 5:51am
Try going into your BIOS and check to see if your memory is operating at the proper speeds. Heck.. while you're in there verify all the settings to make sure it's where it should be. I had an issue a while back where for some reason my memory went from 1600 (where it's supposed to be at) to 1333. Once you verify that please hit us up with a reply and we can try to go from there.

*Quick Edit*: I almost forgot. If you're overclocking, verify those settings. Also with overclocking, since you are technically pushing your system past it's normal limits, it will degrade much faster versus stock speeds -- especially in the case if you are pumping crazy amounts of voltage through it.

Edited by Shadow - 06 Jun 2015 at 5:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic