ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

A320M-HDV R4.0 Ryzen 3400g freezing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GGGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A320M-HDV R4.0 Ryzen 3400g freezing
    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 12:14am
Hi, as title. I have a A320M-HDV R4.0 and a Ryzen 5 3400G but after playing minecraft for about 30 minutes it just freezes up and I have to reset. When I reset all the video drivers are uninstalled and I have to reinstall again. I have read that people fix these issues by down grading bios to 3.3 as 3.7 and 4.00 have issues with certain games. Problem is I can't, well the shop that I brought it off said it can't be done without taking a big risk. The chip and motherboard has been tested by the wholesaler and they couldn't find any faults with it. Any suggestions at all? Anyone ran into this problem? Really wish I stuck to intel now.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:49am
The A320M-HDV is a very basic, ultra budget board. Given the symptoms I would
guess the VRMs are getting too hot when you are running games for prolonged periods.
There are no heatsinks on the VRMs of that board so they rely exclusively on airflow
over the VRM area. Try positioning a fan over the VRM section, even pointing a desk
fan at the side of your PC with the side panel removed will work for testing.

There is always an element of risk any time you update the BIOS, up or down though
downgrading is inherently more risky. In your case however, you should be able
to downgrade as there is no generational support added from 3.3 to 3.7. It IS
risky to downgrade and it can kill your board. If you choose to go this route
then do the following to minimize risk:

1. Clear CMOS (Check your user manual if you don't know how to do this)
2. Power on the system after the clear and allow it to boot into windows then
shut down. This will ensure defaults are loaded. Do not change anything in the BIOS.
3. Download the "Instant Flash" 3.30 BIOS version from your product page (be sure
it's for the R4.0 board) and extract it onto a FAT32 fromatted USB flash drive.
4. Go into the BIOS and load system defaults (just to be extra careful) and reboot.
5. Reenter the BIOS and use the instant flash utility with your flash drive
containing the BIOS update inserted in one of the rear USB ports. It should
detect the BIOS version and ask if you want to update to it.
6. DO NOT POWER OFF THE SYSTEM, even if it looks like it turned off and won't
come back on. Let it run for at least 20 mins (if it won't show anything on the
screen).

The system should complete the update and automatically restart. All being well
you will boot into windows and should be running version 3.30. After it has booted
into the OS you can now feel free to restart and change whatever BIOS settings
you need to (enable XMP etc).

I say this again, do this at your own risk. I would try the fan test first.
GGGM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GGGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:59pm
Wouldn't it also freeze up due to heat when running stress tests though? They can run for hours on end and it never freezes. It happens mostly on minecraft, java game. Even if it was heat, why would the drivers and the software get uninstalled on reset? It was worse on bios 3.7 but bios 4 fixed some problems leading me to believe it is software related windows/bios/driver conflicts somewhere.

I am not the only one with this problem either, one example- https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/4405/powerspec-asrock-a320m-hdv-r4-0-ryzen-5-3400g-bsod
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 12:33am
Thanks for the link. In that case I am sure ASRock is aware of the issue (through
support tickets).

If you have upgraded to 4.0 I would not recommend downgrading to 3.3 now. I typically
avoid downgrading whenever there is a version number difference, 4 down to 3 in
this instance. In many cases it bricks the board. Within the same version number,
provided new CPU support has not been added, is usually fine. Whenever new CPU
support is added the same rule applies as with version numbers. Usually new CPU
support is accompanied by a version number change however.
GGGM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GGGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:27pm
Thanks, came with 3.7 and crashed often when kids played roblox (often crashed on exit) and minecraft (froze after 20-30 minutes), updated to 4.0 and was better for some games but not minecraft, in fact was worse.

After some more research and seeing 3.3 fixed issues for a lot of people the guy at the shop downgraded it for me as the alternative was buying a video card and that defeats the purpose of that particular chip as only for light gaming. SO far after 2 hours of minecraft it has not crashed and I am pretty confident it won't.

So for anyone else that comes across this thread and plays minecraft with this combination of chip and motherboard it seems you have two options, downgrade to 3.3 or by a dedicated card. No matter what driver you try (I tried multiple versions) it will either give you BSOD's or just freeze.

Hopefully the next bios update will solve this as their is definitely a issue with version 3.7 and 4.

Here are some more posts on the topic - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/720158/thread-stuck-in-device-driver-bsod-error-almost-daily/page-5

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 10:22pm
Thanks for the follow up GGGM, here's hoping your kids get enjoyment from the system
for a good long time
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 1:20pm
Hello @GGGM

May be iGPU voltages inside SoC was low on 4.0 and high on 3.3, would be best to check this with ASRock's monitoring software.

Plus zentiming to check other voltages, especially CLDO_VDDP should be 0.95v see link https://www.overclock.net/threads/new-dram-calculator-for-ryzen%E2%84%A2-1-7-3-overclocking-dram-on-am4-membench-0-8-dram-bench.1640919/post-28833237
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic