ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Power Limit And Stability for B560 Steel Legend
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Limit And Stability for B560 Steel Legend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfaisal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Limit And Stability for B560 Steel Legend
    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 5:27pm
Good day,

I would like to buy a B560 (or B560M) motherboard and pair it with an i9-11900 for my next rig. The rig will mainly be used for working (MATLAB programming) and less for gaming, that is the reason I want to go for the i9-11900 (but I can consider downgrading it to i7-11700 if the price difference between the two CPUs is big but the performance difference between them is not worth it for that price difference). Since the rig is less for gaming and the current GPU price is expensive, I plan to just install my unused GT1030 onto that rig.

I am still a beginner at PC building. Initially, I plan to buy the B560 (or B560M) from ASRock Steel Legend or ASRock Pro4 series because they are quite cheap, but then I discovered three videos from Hardware Unboxed saying that two B560 (or B560M) motherboards from ASRock (the Pro4 and the HDV series, not the Steel Legend series) don't provide enough power for the i5, i7, and i9 to clock up until the CPUs' potential maximum clock limit constantly. The links for the three videos are below:
https://youtu.be/NJVGghP514E
https://youtu.be/g3AEj3x39vQ
https://youtu.be/HkiTA0XvXUM

According to the three videos above, both the ASRock B560 motherboards (the Pro4 and the HDV series) do not allow the processor to go up until the maximum CPU clock speed continuously and have high VRM temperature. Both of this problem happen most probably because both motherboards has less VRMs and one of the motherboards (the HDV series) has no heat sink for the VRMs.

The three videos above also shows that two best B560 (or B560M) motherboards are the AORUS PRO or the MSI Tomahawk. After watching the three videos above, I've decided to go for the B560 (or B560M) from the AORUS PRO.

However, I can still consider the B560 (or B560M) Steel Legend if the clock speed of the i9-11900 (or the i7-11700) can go up to the maximum limit continuously and the VRMs' temperature does not differ much from the AORUS PRO.

Here, I would like to ask two questions about the B560 (or B560M) Steel Legend:
1) Based on your opinion(s), will the B560 (or B560M) Steel Legend allows the clock speed of the i9-11900 (or the i7-11700) can go up to the maximum limit and maintain the VRMs' temperature almost as low as the B560M AORUS PRO? I notice that the number of VRMs is 10 for the B560 (or B560M) Steel Legend, 8 for the B560 (or B560M) Pro4, and 12+1 for the B560M AORUS PRO. Plus I think the VRM heatsink for the Steel Legend is more and bigger than the Pro 4.
2) The first video that I put above said the maximum settable power limit (the 'long duration power limit') is only 100W for the ASRock B560M HDV. However, all the three videos above did not mention the maximum settable power limit for ASRock B560M Pro4. If you guys know the maximum power limit for both the ASRock B560 (or B560M) Pro4 and B560 (or B560M) Steel Legend, please inform me.

That is all that I would like to ask at the moment. I am busy until the 29th of June 2020 and might reply to this thread seldomly during this period. Thank you very much and have a nice day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic