ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme6/3.1 XEON Upgrade failed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docdrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Extreme6/3.1 XEON Upgrade failed
    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 9:26pm
Hi All,

I have an X99 Extreme 6/3.1 with an E5-2630v3 and 128GB of non-ECC DDR4 working fine.

I attempted to replace the CPU with a newer E5-2683v4, but it only recognized half of my memory (64-gig).

When using the E5-2630v3 it shows "quad-memory channel" on the CPU info screen, but only "dual" when using the newer CPU.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm on the latest 3.5 BIOS.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 1:47pm
Double check your socket and the contact pads on the CPU. Missing memory channels
99% of the time are caused by improper contact between the CPU and the socket pins.
Carefully clean the underside of the CPU with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol.
If that doesn't resolve the issue then the only other potential cause is a dead
IMC on the CPU itself, it's rare but accounts for the remaining 1%.
docdrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docdrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 2:49am
I happen to have an ASROCK X99 Extreme 4 that has an i7-6800k and the exact same memory configuration (128GB) using the exact same DIMMs as the other system.

I tried the new XEON in this system as well, and got the same result.

I'm gonna return the CPU. :(

Note that it was brand new in the box so cleaning shouldn't have been necessary.

Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic