ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAID-1 on Z590 Taichi and keep existing data£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellg99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAID-1 on Z590 Taichi and keep existing data£
    Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:37am
I'm about to change motherboards from an ASRock Z97 Extreme4 to an ASRock Z590 Taichi and I'm wondering if I can move my existing RAID-1 array to the new motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10.

The existing RAID-1 array has two 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD drives (not M.2).

After reading the Z590 Taichi RAID installation guide, it looks like since I have under 2.2 TB and Ultra Fast Boot is disabled, I need to use the Intel RAID BIOS setup utility to create the array (by pressing Ctrl-I as I did on my current motherboard).

However, the guide says that creating a RAID-0 (zero) array will erase the existing data. Is that true for a RAID-1 array as well?

Also, has someone created a guide or video for this process?

Thanks!
Russell
The_Nephilim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Nephilim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 11:47am
Well with RAID 0 when I used it was able to redo the RAID setup and have the drives come back to life.

I am unsure if you had a different motherboard and switched to a new one if that would work but if it was the same hardware you can make the RAID in BIOS now with most boards but I really donl;t know what would happen in your instance..

Seems how it will either work or it will not and nothing gained but you will loose all your Data.. but if you make the RAID 1 and it boots up well you answered your question..

ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:35pm
Hi Russellg99,

Thank you for your post.

Because Intel RAID has been updated many versions between Z97 and Z590.

We highly recommend back up the DATA and recreate a new RAID array on the Z590 motherboard to avoid the DATA lost or compatibility issue.

Also, All DATA will be erased when creating a new RAID array (no matter RAID 0 or RAID 1).

All the best
ASRock TSD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic