ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PC Modding > Project Build&Share
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Build only posts using one stick of RAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyc2300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Build only posts using one stick of RAM
    Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:10pm
Just wrapped up a really fun father-son build. Everything seems to be working however we can only post with one memory stick. The one stick works in each slot however adding a second stick prevents any loading whatsoever. 

So I'm not sure what's causing the boot up issue, incompatible RAM, bad MOBO, or perhaps incorrect UEFI settings? This is where I'll take any and all assistance since ASRock support is off for a week celebrating the Chinese New Year and I have a return/exchange deadline coming up. 

Here is the build specs:

- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 Bios version 2.5 
- Intel Core i7-6700 8M Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I76700 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 
- 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVRB 
- EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0750-X1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular continuous Power Supply 
- 2 x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E120B/AM - Cooler Master Hyper D92 - CPU Air Cooler with Dual 92mm Offset Push-Pull Fans and Accelerated Cooling System 
- Windows 10 Professional 

The hard drives are setup as Raid1 using the Intel Storage Management if that helps. 

I also haven't done a build in about five years so I may be missing something pretty simple. No question is an insulting one so fire away. 

THANKS EVERYONE!!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:29pm
2300, I'm 99.99% certain it is the memory now knowing the Kit number.

G.Skill doesn't list it as compatible with your two's particular Z170 board unfortunately:
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2484&model=2518

Have a friend or co-worker you might borrow some slower 2133-2400 from only to test with? Or even a computer shop nearby that might place some in to test for a small fee? But slower as that will have the best odds of booting.

Motherboard manufacturers are having a heck of a time keeping their BIOSes freshened with memory compatibility releases what with the new and rapidly growing supply of new, larger, and faster DDR4 now seeing the light of store shelves. I believe you've fallen between the cracks with that 3200 memory you have there now.

Edited by wardog - 09 Feb 2016 at 1:31pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Have a friend or co-worker you might borrow some slower 2133-2400 from only to test with? Or even a computer shop nearby that might place some in to test for a small fee? But slower as that will have the best odds of booting.

At least if you do find some sticks/Kit that it will boot with that would go a long way to relieving the return deadline anxiety. Tearing a build down is a PITA, and hurts mentally. Ruling out the memory is painless, and a good first step considering those sticks aren't on the comparability list, AND taking into account what you two are experiencing there.
johnnyc2300 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyc2300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:44pm
Good points Wardog. 

I checked out the same ASRock compatibility page before posting and noticed each of the RAMs listed were only 1.2v whereas the memory I picked up was 1.35v

This is where I get myself confused not being in the build game for the past five years. 

ASRock's website for this board states it supports DDR4 3866+OC Memory Modules: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming%20K4/index.us.asp

Is it possible to just downclock this memory to be compatible? Create an XMP 2.0 profile to lower the voltage to 1.2 and slow the MHz down to 2133? Can one setup an XMP 2.0 profile for two sticks before both sticks are installed?

I'll try to get the sticks tested as well but I don't live close to a shop that I know of. 

Thanks again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyc2300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:19pm
Morning Wardog,

Post update since I've done additional testing.

16 tests using each memory stick in each RAM slot.  My results: computer will not post if there is a stick of memory in Slot 1A or 2A. Previously I thought each slot was working with only one memory stick installed but that was incorrect.

It appears Slots 1A & 1B are out of commission. I googled like crazy but could not find any documentation making reference to specific slot usage on this board. 

I agree with your previous statement about the memory potentially not being compatible but now I'm not so sure. One would think all the RAM slots would work with one stick but maybe not. 

I'm still trying to track down some slower memory but no luck yet. ASRock support is back from vacation tomorrow so hopefully they can also give some assistance.

Thanks again for you help!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 12:22am
PM'd you just now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyc2300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 12:02pm
Final update.

RMA'd the board since there were a few bent pins. On a side note, MicroCenter was going to let me use some open box RAM to test the non-working slots. i think this is a great option to recommend in the future as it sounds like a common practice MicroCenter uses.

The BIOS on the ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K4 was fantastic and I highly recommend it for for new to intermediate users. 

Ultimately I decided to switch to the Gigabyte-Z170X-Gaming 7 however and it's not as sexy in the BIOS. Setup was done in record time though so I'm glad to be up and running again. 

Thanks again to everyone here especially Wardog for helping me out!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic