ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty AB350 random freeze (USB/M.2)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty AB350 random freeze (USB/M.2)
    Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:05pm
so first I had this motherboard running well with firmware 3.40 for 2 years stable:
AMD 1300 CPU, 16GB RAM@2400Mhz (4x4GB) . no XMP profile, no OC.

then , on 2021 : upgraded the CPU to Ryzen 5 3600 + Firmware 6.40 (for Matisse + AGESA 1.0.0.6)

what I've noticed first is :
1. random USB freeze : meaning keyboard or mouse might get disconnected.
2. failure booting linux from my Crucial MX500 M.2 disk. many I/O read error. essentially the MB will loose the disk . not showing it sometimes in F11 Boot menu.

msi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:09pm
I scanned through the forums suggesting downgrading my BIOS but I didn't buy that.
I did several test by disconnecting the HDD , SDD and M.2 onboard disk.

I noticed: with M.2 on board : even Ubuntu Live CD would get hung sometimes.
just freeze the screen. only way out was to cut power.

What I noticed as well is that booting the MB to an SSD with Windows OS worked just fine. no errors or freezes.

so I started suspecting the M.2 compatibility with firmware 6.x

what seems to solve my issue was to change the BIOS CPU settings for M.2 : from auto mode to Gen1 compatible (other menu options were gen2,gen3).

With that settings alone I was able to boot my M.2 disk with no freezes so far (2 hours and counting...)
msi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:14pm
my M.2 is my main system disk (running Ubuntu)
https://www.linuxlookup.com/review/crucial_mx500_1tb_m2_type_2280_ssd_review

what you will notice with BIOS firmware 6.4 is that os start up report bad inode, then read errors , then device unreachable.

ofcourse, there is nothing wrong with the disk. I was tested on an Asus system with no issues in `fsck`
msi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:23pm
so my advice: if you encounter strange behavior with ASRock Fatality AB350 MB and 6 firmware : try

go to Bios --> Advanced tab --> AMD PBS --> M.2 PCIe Speed --> set to "Gen1"
save & reboot.

so far it fixed my disk freezes.
msi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic