ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFI Firmware Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vindicator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 3:00am
I'll also add another EFI issue which may be on the part of the efibootmgr package or the ASRock UEFI and am posting the issue to both parties:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/efibootmgr/+bug/1460781
In short, when I manually add a boot entry to any .efi, the bootorder adds a duplicate entry AFTER a reboot.
vindicator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vindicator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 3:27am
I'll also add that I WAS able to get into the shell using efibootmgr... BUT it was only with the v1 shell version. Trying v2 would just cause the screen to flash and return back to the boot menu.
I don't remember exactly what it said, but I think the v1 shell said:
Shell version 2.31
Running version 1.1
Schlunze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlunze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by vindicator vindicator wrote:

Nope, still no joy.

Not either of the supposed V1 or V2.
Not with the shell file being copied everywhere I could think of (/,/boot,/boot/efi,/boot/efi/EFI,/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu)
Not using the USB2 internal reader in the front, nor USB3 in the back.
Not with Secure Boot (en/dis)abled.
Not any combination/permutation of any of the above.

Until anyone with the H97 (maybe even the itx version) has success with it, I'm calling this a bug.
Same as I'm calling the tech-support feature inside UEFI having network issues is something I also consider a bug.

EDIT:Similar screenshot found online
http://i.stack.imgur.com/qd4Ax.png

Strange, V1 works with my Z97Extreme6, i´ll check i it again and let u know.
Schlunze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlunze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 10:29pm

Ooooohhhh, I'm looking more closely at the URIs on that archlinux page and it looks like it points to the old Intel Tianocore SVN site. But more than that, even though that Tianocore Readme says V1, based on the Arch page, it's actually V2:
V2 = https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2/ShellBinPkg/UefiShell
V1 = https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/tree/master/ShellBinPkg/UefiShell

These two are not working on my Z97Extreme6 too.
i´ve copied my shellx64_v1.efi from an arch iso, maybe it was a lucky shot. I can mail the file if you want.

I have just tried with gummiboot so far, but it looks like we can only use v1, with v2 i have the same in gummiboot - entry is started - fallback to gummiboot.

I´ve not tried to enable secure boot, but it looks like you have much trouble to get it up and running. Good luck, maybe some other pro here can help you with this secure boot issues.

Cya

Edited by Schlunze - 02 Jun 2015 at 10:59pm
Schlunze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlunze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 11:37pm

I'm sure I would have flashed through UEFI, in fact I think I did try once I got it, but there was no new updates.
I would think the flash process would entail fully downloading the binary, doing a checksum, then flashing, and the only way issues would occur is if the actual flashing part of the process couldn't complete due to something like a power interruption.

If anything is any kind of a "deal" big or not, it is a deal nonetheless. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, fix it. That is the frame of mind that should be used.

Hope it works that way!
I think my internetconnection broke during BIOS Download, then a blackscreen with many lines of errors appeared. It wasn´t during the flash process, because the BIOS worked after reset Big smile and i gave it another try right after this issue. The second time it worked without errors.

Edited by Schlunze - 02 Jun 2015 at 11:39pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vindicator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 12:12am
Ugh, I edited my post with those links because I copied/pasted wrong and didn't pay attention to it.
I did get it working with v1.

Also noticed that these forums send notifications under the domain "forum@example.com". That just can't be right and I'm not about to add that to my safe list.ample.com
Schlunze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlunze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 12:57am
Yeah seen that.

Tell me, why do you like to use secureboot?
Seen that rod-link. But i was to lazy to read it so far.

Edited by Schlunze - 04 Jun 2015 at 1:09am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vindicator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 3:12pm
For me, I want to make use of everything I have.
Some people may get a car with heated seats and never use it.

I know secureboot has the intent of making the system more "secure", but for a hacker/hobbyist, it sure is a PITA.
I just got worse and worse for me.
My intent is to compile a kernel driver, but then it would need to be signed and I won't even go through the many things I've done to try to get the stupid thing to work.
I thought simply disabling secureboot would be enough, but apparently not.

I'm now at the stage where I'm building the ubuntu kernel myself, but am encountering what I believe is also a bug because I want to use my own keys I made for myself with openssl, but the stupid Makefile/rules are overwriting them even though I supplied them.

Frankly it sounds like all these years that have passed since I first heard about UEFI and have been watching Ubuntu and other *nix dists, they just haven't gotten far and are full of bugs.

For anyone who would like to complain about Windows, I say spend a day hacking around in *nix. It'll likely be mostly fine for the general user, but for someone who gets deep and dirty, it is one ugly mess.
Schlunze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlunze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 1:04am
Looks like no one can help you here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic