ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

TRX40 Taichi - Overheating issues / fan speed£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeGW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRX40 Taichi - Overheating issues / fan speed£
    Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:58am
Hi, I just finished building my machine, using these components:

TRX40 Taichi
Threadripper 3960x
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 4x16gb
Gigabyte RTX 3090
Fractal Design Compact case with Dynamic X2 fans x3

I started by running some benchmarks since I'm using this for work. On a run of Cinebench R23, HWMonitor showed my temp at 101C. I am using a Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut thermal pad instead of thermal paste, since I've had good experiences with thermal pads in the past. I also just built a Ryzen 9 5950X system using the same pad with temps only hitting around 71C.

When running another Cinebench test, as the temp reached above 80C, the fans never seemed to spin up very fast. The CPU fan only goes up to 1500RPM, and it's pretty quiet. I used A-Tuning to test the fan speeds, and I get some odd results. The 3 case fans should all have a max of 2000RPM, but one has a max of 920, another is 1299, and the 3rd is 1699. I set the fan source for each chassis fan to CPU.

If I set the fans to Full in the bios, they sound like a jet taking off, as you would expect. I'm not sure why they aren't getting up to max speed when the temp gets over 80C, which is how they're set right now.

On a side note, and I'm mentioning it in case it's related, if I change my memory to use the XMP settings for 3600MHz, the power turns on and off repeatedly a few times before eventually staying on and booting to Windows. I've put it back to the default speed for now.

Thanks for any help you can provide. And let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

Lee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic