ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blank UEFI/BIOS, no splash screen, no Boot Menu£n
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blank UEFI/BIOS, no splash screen, no Boot Menu£n

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:24pm
restart uefi wont reboot into uefi, it just disables fastboot so you can press del key to enter bios

try switching your monitor to different GPU video port, bios might be running on different port then your monitor is connected (wouldnt be nothing unusual)
if that wont go, then i guess bios update frm windows is your next best bet

ami has windows update tool
https://www.ami.com/bios-uefi-utilities/
on this page click on Aptio V Firmware update utility, accept eula and download it, then extract that zip file
go to afu -> afuwin -> 64 folder
there you will find another zip file, extract it, then click through folder until you get to files
open afuwinx64gui.exe (btw its win 11 compatible)
on that afuwin window click open button, locate your bios file downloaded from asrock, you have to select all files to see it, by default it will see .rom or .cap files and asrock is using numbers as extension
if you find your file and it says that it cant open it, move your bios file somewhere else (like on c:\)
once its opened, it will switch to setup page
check mark program all blocks, then click flash button
it will take a while, once done, turn off PC, then turn it on (as it usualy needs power cycle)
done
Very Frustrated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 5:12pm
Thanks so much for the adise. I've been busy through a holiday time.

Found one odd set of instructions, for a different Bios/motherboard, which I'll try tomorrow:
https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5555&title=solved-ab350m-pro-4-uefi-settings-black-screen

SOLUTION TO PROBLEM:
Problem: UEFI settings not able to be accessed via Windows, no ASRock Boot Logo w/settings. Computer will just restart back to windows or show a black screen when booting to UEFI settings from Windows 10. This issue may apply to some AMD GPU's using Displayport and the UEFI Settings by default booting to your monitors native HD resolution. This must be disabled for you to be able to consistently boot back into UEFI Settings.

Solution:
Instructions(for dummies):

1. Power off computer completely and disconnect power, remove any externally powered analog speaker cables hooked into the jack.
2. Press the power button for 15 seconds to discharge the capacitors. Discharge any static or wear a static wrist band and pop the case open.
3. Under the second x8 PCI-E slot and at the bottom center of the Mobo, you will see a 3-Pin connector with a jumper on it. Remove the jumper and move it ONE PIN to the right.
4. Wait 5 seconds and move the jumper ONE PIN to the left.
5. Reconnect power and boot.
6. UEFI ASRock Splash Screen will show once and one time only so hit F2/DEL and boot to UEFI **WHEN THE LOGO APPEARS** HITTING F2/DEL BEFORE THE LOGO APPEARS WILL CAUSE THE SPLASH SCREEN NOT TO APPEAR AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RESTART AT STEP 1!!
7. Once in UEFI navigate to "Advanced" and use the down arrow until you highlight "Full HD UEFI"
8. A selection box will appear, select disable and hit enter.
9. Navigate to the "Exit" tab and select "Save Changes and Exit"
*Computer reboots and may display the post screen or just go to Windows*

If no splash screen appears, do not worry this is a integrated fast boot feature windows uses.

Boot to UEFI from Windows 10:

1.Log in to you machine and right click the Windows Start Logo
2. Mouse over to "Shut down or Sign Out" and over again to restart.
3. Press and hold LSHIFT while clicking restart. Windows will now boot to the Troubleshooting screen.
4. Once in the troubleshooting screen, click the "Troubleshooting" box and then the "Advanced Options" box.
5. Now finally, click the "UEFI Firmware Settings" box and then "Restart", your machine will boot into the UEFI (After disabling the HD Feature).

So i hope this helps guys, ASRock if you need any info from me please let me know. I'd like to work with you to have this fixed in a future BIOS update. This could cause a less computer savy person to RMA their board or write a nasty review.

_____
Then there's using the AMI FIRMWARE UPDATE (AFU) to update the BIOS via Win10...

I'll try the first, and if needed the AMI UTILITY tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for trying to help!

I'll tell you what happens when I'm sober and ready to slowly, carefully, patiently try to upgrade the CPU.

For the record, I was totally sober when I tried, swapped out video cards, rebooted countless times... just at the moment I'm kinda drunk and appriating the AMD Win10 Bios update tool which I had no idea exists.

It's such a small thing. A little better performance, some more life out of a consumer product. Wish it was easier. Not giving up, just not now with so much cabernet sauvignon flowing though me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 4:23am
The AMI FIRMWARE UPDATE (AFU) failed, reporting "ROM hole not exist".
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nlsovnVU2E72rDluLc138_M4Mo7s3tJ6/view?usp=drivesdk

Selecting "Program All Blocks" forces writing to all ROM holes. Unselecting ROM hole 1 (only hole not grayed out) DEselects "Program All Blocks"

Is it safe run with everything selected, aside from "Program All Blocks"/ROM hole?

I also tried the detailed CMOS reset instructions, but got nothing but a blank screen, double reboot and straight into Win10. (all without user input) - No splash screen.

Thanks very much for you effort!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:37am
I give up... no idea when or how the AMI Bios quit displaying, but this motherboard is going into the trash.

It worked great for 3.5 years, which isn't what I expected, but still not terrible.

Looked around for a replacement and chose one on sale, ASRock B550M STEEL LEGEND AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.

If that doesn't support my 5000 Ryzen out-of-the-box, nor my old 1700 to update the BIOS... I'LL!!!! ...be even more frustrated and just send it back and buy another brand.

WHY IS UPGRADING MY CPU SO IMPOSSIBLE?!??!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 12:39pm
The new motherboard displayed BIOS menus perfectly.
Effortlessly Flashed the required Bios update while running my Ryzen 5 5600X.

System is stable and performing well...

Unfortunately this machine had an OEM Windows 10 license, which MS DeActivated, and their scripted procedure just burps up something like... We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now (for 2 days? That's not an error message, it's an evasion)

Consider this thread dead for me... The AsRock B450M Pro4 is going into the trash.

If the new one quits displaying Bios/EUFI menus. Well there's always Mac.

It's been a VERY disappointing experience, so needlessly painful.

--Oh replace a defective part with another from the same vendor... the new motherboard was on a 1/3 off sale at the time, and from user comments all over the internet, it's apparent MANY companies can't sortout this problem when things go wrong.

Jeff_TH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_TH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 12:04am
Very Frustrated, were you ever able to get into the UEFI/BIOS? If so, by chance was "Fast Boot" turned on? If so, the "Restart to UEFI" utility might get you into something you can see.
Jeff Heyen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 12:24pm
No, nothing worked. The Asrock b450m pro4 just refused to display ANYTHING while booting. (I KNOW it used to work, as I tuned the CPU and RAM right after I bought it, but at some point, it just quit displaying, while continuing to work)

How can BIOS, something intrinsically STATIC, behave differently over time, just stop working?

The new motherboard displays BIOS/UEFI menus just fine with all the same kit.

Microsoft refused to transfer the OEM Win10 license to it, but associated with my account I had an old license from a dead system I built by hand in 2012... so I just transferred that and didn't have to add insult to injury by being forced to pay for a new OS license.

cdub3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cdub3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 2:53am
I just went through this after upgrading to Win 11 and needing to get in to enable secure boot to satisfy a game requirement. Similar to others, I am running two monitors. One hdmi and one displayport. It looked like it was booting into UEFI mode but just a black screen. Here's what I did. It took three boots to figure out:

Disconnect the HDMI monitor and plug in the display port, alone, in the first position, and reboot from within windows choosing the UEFI mode on the reboot. That's it. No resetting cmos, nothing else special. Just dropping to the single monitor and rebooting.

I had tried, unsuccessfully, on previous boots:
Trying every available port, both hdmi and displayport, while it should've been in UEFI mode
Hdmi monitor alone, in the only port on my 2070 super, and in the mobo hmdi port. separate boots.
Display port monitor but in another port on the card.

It only worked, for me, in the right most port on my card, with no other monitor plugged in. And now I'm back to regularly scheduled programming. :)
Hope it helps someone.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic