ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

XMP profile causes boot failure (ddr4-3200)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbiclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XMP profile causes boot failure (ddr4-3200)
    Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 11:31am
Hello, I am using 4x8GB g.skill ram which is rated at 3200 Mhz and I attempted to use the XMP profile to change the frequency from the default 2133 to 3200. As soon as I did this, windows failed to boot and would hang up at the "spinning dots". Once I got it to boot to the windows login screen but it froze there. Is there something I have to consider when enabling the XMP profile to prevent this? Works fine when set at 2133 Mhz.
hbiclan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbiclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 11:35am
I also should mention that the XMP profile seemed to work fine in the BIOS, as each stick reported back that it was running at 3200 Mhz. But as soon as I attempt to boot, it will either freeze, or give a message "windows failed to boot" with an option to restart. It's clearly an issue with the XMP profile because it works flawlessly as soon as I go back to the "auto" setting (which runs the ram too slow at 2133Mhz - note I am not trying to overclock my RAM, it's literally rated at 3200Mhz)
hbiclan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbiclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:43pm
should also mention this is a 9900k. Ive come across some posts that claim the 9900k needs to be tweaked to allow the XMP profile to work? Anyone have any info on how I would go about doing that in the asrock BIOS? Do I need to just set a custom timing? Thanks for any help you can give.
hbiclan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbiclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 11:10pm
Yeah I figured it was something to do with the BCLK on the CPU bus... dont really understand it fully but I'll look further thanks
hbiclan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbiclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 1:36am
I got it working but only up to 3000 Mhz. I had disabled a couple BIOS memory options, ASRock timing optimization and another one but the name escapes me. Haven't tried turning them back on yet but as it is now it's running fine at 3000 Mhz.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic