ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B560M Steel Legend RAM issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B560M Steel Legend RAM issue
    Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 9:55am
MOBO: B560M Steel Legend
CPU: i5-11600K
RAM: 4x Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G32C16U4B 3200 MHz (total 32GB)

Recently I built a PC for the first time. At that time I installed 16 GB RAM (2 modules 8GB in slot DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 ). Recently I bought another 16GB. Again 2 modules of 8 GB each. Tonight I installed them, but unfortunately I can't get into the bios anymore. On the motherboard I see a small LED with an attribute "DRAM" next to it lit up. I've tried swapping memory modules and inserting them one by one in slots DDR4_A1, DDR4_A2, DDR4_B1 and DDR4_B2. The only slot that seems to work is DDR4_B1. I tested all the modules in the working slot, and they all seem to work, and Windows 10 starting up too. So, what am I doing wrong?
Urbanized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 2:41pm
Update:

I took off the CPU cooler (replaced the thermal paste as well) and tightened it a bit more and now both DDR4_B1 and DDR4_B2 seems to work. But if I now add another memory module in DDR4_A1, or DDR4_A2, or both, the problem remains.
Urbanized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 3:37am
UPDATE

MemTest86 results:
https://ibb.co/jRJgN23

Thaiphoon results:

Ballistix BL2K8G32C16U4B.8FE
https://ibb.co/tqxRSt9

Ballistix BL2K8G32C16U4B.M8FE1
https://ibb.co/QKgyvrG

It seems that the memory slots A1 and A2 are working because MemTest86 says they are empty in the picture and I actually left them empty when starting the PC.

The memory modules are not 100% identical. If you look closely you will see a difference at the end of the type number. One ends at 8FE and the other at M8FE1. But I think that makes no difference at all, in fact they are the same.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 7:21pm
Hi Urbanized,

Thank you for your post.

We recommend using a 4 ram kit instead of 2x 2 ram kits. Because 2 ram kit is optimized for 2 DIMM setup, the different memory modules which came from different KITs may be produced by different chip, controller IC. Mixing these memorey on your system may cause system unstable or even no post.

All the best
ASRock TSD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic