ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 OC Formula 3.1 - cannot use all RAM slots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisKL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 OC Formula 3.1 - cannot use all RAM slots
    Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:00am
I have a strange issue.
I was running this fine with 4 x 8GB RAM sticks in A1, B1, C1, D1
Bought 4 more identical RAM sticks, I tested them, rotated them to make sure they all work fine and the configuration only works if I use 6 RAM sticks in A1, B1, C1, D1, A2, B2. (48GB in Quad mode)
If i put the last 2 in C2 and D2 the screen remains black, no error beeps, nothing, and it never posts/boots.
So the question is, has anyone managed to use all 8 RAM slots on X99 OC Formula 3.1 ?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:12am
Do C2 and D2 work when you have fewer slots populated?

If not, try reseating your CPU, it may not be making proper contact and causing
those two channels to not be properly connected.
ChrisKL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisKL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 9:09am
This all has been working fine for the last 6 years with 32 GB (not in the 2 affected slots). Just thought i'd give it more RAM. Do you think it would have function properly this long if the CPU was not sat properly? Willing to re-sit ... but is such a pain and mess to get to it :(
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 4:24pm
If slots C2 and D2 have not been in use the entire time you never would have
known it wasn't seated properly. It's also possible for the mounting pressure on
the CPU to slowly cause a corner to lift (if uneven). Generally with HEDT systems
my first stop when diagnosing missing/faulty memory channels is to reseat the CPU.
They are so large they have a lot of real estate on the contact area to potentially
not be making proper contact.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic