ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to Boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherrycocainezero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to Boot
    Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 10:42am
Whenever I try to boot I get an error 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I have WD SN750 M2 drive installed for over two years. Never had a problem until yesterday. there were two older HDD's connected that I removed and added a couple of SSD drives I had taken out of laptops. I had completely forgotten that at least one of these still had the laptop OS installed, and when I rebooted, I was booting to the SSD. I shut down and disconnected the sata cables from both drives so only the M2 drive was bootable, and that's when I started to see this error.

I went back to the laptop SSD drive and deleted/formatted the M2 drive in diskpart. I then used Paragon backup recovery to put the latest backup back on the drive, and by all accounts it was a success. When I boot, I'd get an error that Windows can't be booted from this drive, but I can click F9 and see there were two Windows installations, and the only one that would load was on my external hard drive. (where I stored the backup I recovered from). I restarted the whole process a couple times, each time it worked it would only boot if I selected the OS on the external drive, but if I take that away, I get the above error.    

When I go into boot manager, it shows that all boot devices are empty.
When I go to the boot menu, Boot Option #1 shows the M.2 drive. I've disconnected every other drive from the computer except the blu ray drive, so there is only 1 drive to boot from.
I've tried disabling CSM and disabling boot manager but then it will only boot directly into BIOS if I do. I am thinking of reinstalling Windows from scratch to see if I can at least do that, but then what? I need the files on my backup for work and life in general.

Any suggestions before I go that route? Thank you in advance.
cherrycocainezero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherrycocainezero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:48am
I realized my mistake a short while ago - I deleted the Windows-created partitions without thinking about it and one of those had the active partition on it, so it wouldn't boot from that drive. I used a Windows installation USB to erase and format the drive, which created the partition with the active flag, and then restored from my image to the unallocated space. Works fine now!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic