ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to always keep the turbo clock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dertum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to always keep the turbo clock?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 7:53am
I recently upgraded my Z87M Pro4 with an Intel i5 4690 (non K) because I got a great deal. Regular clock is 3,5GHz and turbo 3,9GHz. I want to set it up to run at 3,9GHz consistently but its not working. Its stuck at 37 multi, so 3,7Ghz, even when changing the multi and cache ratio to 39.

The only way I can increase the clock is by setting the base clock to 104MHz. With the multi stuck at 37 the result is 3848MHz. It wont get any higher. RAM will go above so its not limiting. I changed voltages, turned off energy savings etc...

Im want to know if Im doing anything wrong or if anyone has some advice for me. Is the non K CPU even able to do that?

Thx
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 1:40pm
There is no option to set constant turbo. Turbo does not set all cores to the turbo frequency but rather adjusts depending on the workload, something like this:

Cores in use
1 core = 3.9
2 cores = 3.8
3 cores = 3.6
4 cores = 3.5

Being able to set the multi to 37 when it should be 35 is already overclocking the CPU where it shouldn't be able to. 

That said, an i5 4690 running at 3.7ghz (3.8 with your BCLK overclock) is more than up to any task you could throw at it. 
Dertum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dertum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 8:44pm
Thx for the quick answer and explanation. I havent OCed anything for a while. 3.8GHz it is then. :)

Best Regards
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 12:02pm
I agree with Xaltar, you are limited to the maximum four core Turbo speed, which for your CPU is 3.7GHz.

Some ASRock boards have an option in the UEFI, OC Tweaker section, called CPU OC Fixed Mode. I don't see it listed in your board's manual, but the manuals tend not to be kept up to date with options that were added in a UEFI update. Which means there is a possibility it is in your board's UEFI. It may not be available on Intel 8 series chipset boards like yours, or if you aren't using a 'K' CPU.

This option would do what you wanted to do, keep all the core multipliers at the maximum multiplier set for all the cores.

But I've had odd results with this option, when using a stock maximum multiplier. At idle and low loads on the CPU, the multipliers for all cores would stay at the highest value constantly. But run a stress test and the core speeds would drop to the standard max for all cores running a maximum. At least that is what I saw on a Z97 board and Haswell 'K' processor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic