ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Extreme4 - BIOS Update Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P67 Extreme4 - BIOS Update Problem
    Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 12:20am
Hello,

I just installed an updated bios (3.10) for my motherboard. I had version 1.x before the upgrade.

My computer will boot up so I can get into the bios but Windows will not start. I'm assuming it's because the required drivers and AXTU updates weren't installed. Cry

Is there any way to just rollback to my older BIOS? I'm assuming that is the only way to solve this problem. Please help!

Links:
http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/P67%20Extreme4/index.asp
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 12:43am
Once you update to the Ivy Bridge compatible UEFI/BIOS version, you cannot rollback to a previous version. That is why none of the older UEFI/BIOS versions are listed on the BIOS download page.

Did you follow all the directions for flashing to 3.10? That is very important, you can them find here:

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=Windows7

You must right click on the BIOS update file, and select Run as administrator. The instruction say that when you enter the UEFI/BIOS after the update, you should go to the Exit screen and click on the Load Default Settings options. Then click Save and Exit.

Try doing this even if you have done so already. But when the PC restarts, go right back into the UEFI/BIOS, and check the boot order in the Boot Screen. Make sure the correct drive is the first boot device.

You don't need to have the required drivers installed before you update the BIOS. The PC should still boot but a few things like using the OC options in Windows won't work until you update the Intel IME software and AXTU.

If after loading defaults and checking the boot order you still can't boot, try starting Windows in Safe Mode. If you can start in Safe Mode, run the BIOS update program again. This time move/copy all the files onto the C: OS drive and be sure to right click and choose Run as administrator.
easyco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:52am
Thank you for the quick reply.

I followed the directions and ran the program from windows. When I boot to the BIOS it shows as the new version 3.10. I'm assuming that means it was updated correctly?

I didn't see "Load Default Setting" in the exit menu but clicked "Load UEFI Defaults". Then I clicked "Save Changed and Exit" as instructed.

Windows does not want to load. It keeps trying to perform automatic repair. I have not been able to get it to boot into safe mode yet.
easyco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 2:29am
I chose to "refresh windows" in the advanced options menu. Windows booted up and it looks like the issue may be Windows related instead of the BIOS update. I will report back if anything funky happens!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:46am
Great, glad to hear that!

The Windows 8 Refresh option is great, it can save you from doing a full installation.

Be sure to install the new Intel IME software and A-Tuning.

If you can boot into Windows, you should be fine with that BIOS update. The only thing I would suggest is checking the BIOS options in OC Tweaker, to see if you have anything strange.

What CPU are you using?
easyco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 6:45am
Will do. Thanks!

i5-2500k @3.3Ghz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic