ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AM1H-ITX P1.50 - can't boot without a monitor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myxal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AM1H-ITX P1.50 - can't boot without a monitor?
    Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 5:26am
I want to the motherboard for a small headless server. I got the system installed in UEFI mode, CSM is disabled in Setup, fastboot/secureboot/ultrafast boot are also all disabled.

With a monitor attached, everything works fine. Since the server will run headless, I checked if the system boots without a monitor - and it doesn't! The system powers up, but nothing happens.

Attaching a monitor back again, a strange error appears:

Obviously, I don't have a dedicated GPU installed, so why does this appear?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:56pm
You have CSM disabled and it says does not support "CSM Disable". Try enabling CSM and see if you get anywhere.

If that fails then you can just turn the server on, wait for 10 seconds and hit F1 and it will continue to boot. Do you have your server set to auto wake or something? If not just hitting F1 at boot shouldn't be a problem.
myxal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myxal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 4:07pm
Yes, enabling CSM allows the system to boot without peripherals.

I'm just baffled by the error message - it's obviously wrong (there's no discrete VGA card in the system), and why does enabling CSM fix the issue anyway?

My guess is that the UEFI firmware programmers made an assumption that if the onboard video outputs are all disconnected, then the user is using a discrete card, and the board searches for the GOP outside of its own firmware. It obviously can't find any, since there's no other graphics card!

I hope Asrock fixes the problem in a future release. Just because there's an easy workaround doesn't mean that bugs in firmware are acceptable.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 5:19pm
Ah, you didn't mention that you were not using a discrete GPU. I suspect you may be right as the way the system determines where to send the GPU output is by determining where the monitor is connected. Nice find, I am sure monitorless operation was not considered when designing the firmware Smile
Shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 6:05am
I would suggest going into the UEFI and selecting onboard only as the output source. Since it looks to be set to auto, it's going to assume you have a discrete card is nothing is detected on the on-board connection. Once that is set, you should be able to go back to full UEFI boot 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic