ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beebox N3000 slow wifi network

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rorocorti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beebox N3000 slow wifi network
    Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:29pm

Good morning,

I'm experiencing a very slow wifi network on my Beebox N3000, and it appears on ASROCK FORUM that i'm not the only one...

I'm having difficulties to access to my files stored on a NAS while the wifi signal level is 4/4 (and a laptop placed just near my Beebox is able to access the files without problem), while at the same time i can access to internet without trouble with about 4Mb/s speed connection! (so the problem does not come from my router wifi signal level)

I've installed the latest wifi drivers from support website but it doesn't change anything.

For information, when i run a ping test on my NAS i've each time about 50% or 75% of packet loss. My router is an orange internet box with wifi N 2,4 & 5Ghz. When connected with Ethernet 10/100 there is no trouble at all, so it's neither an OS Windows/10 problem or NAS problem.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Runnyme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runnyme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 6:45pm
Hello,

I am having the exact same issue but with a BeeBox N3150.
There are several discussions started on this, or on other forums, regarding this issue.
There are no viable solutions at the moment, and there is a lack of response from Asrock's side.

In my opinion this happens because of a flaw in the BeeBox's design. And here are the reason that led me to this conclusion:
- it happens regardless of the operating system (Windows or Linux), which means it is not a driver issue
- it happens only when the bottom lid (the detachable one) is in place.
- it makes no difference if you simply swap the A and M antenna connections
- it makes no difference if you install a different Wifi&BT card in the Beebox, replacing the existing one.
- this does not happen if you install BeeBox's Wifi&BT card in a laptop
- it happens with an External USB Wifi Dongle, if this dongle is connected in one of the 2 USBs located on the back of the BeeBox.
- it does not happen if the same External USB Wifi Dongle is connected in the FRONT USB port (why Asrock?).

That being said, this is clearly a design flaw (something is messing with the Wifi reception).
Unless Asrock can point us in a different direction (which will not happen judging by the lack of response from all other forum posts), the only viable solution would be to somehow connect an external antenna, thus fixing what Asrock never took into consideration when they designed this beautiful box.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1183&title=beebox-n3000-slow-limited-internet-via-wireless
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1024&title=beebox-n3150-24ghz-wireless-network-issues
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=934&title=beebox-n3000stuttering-bluetooth-sound

Edited by Runnyme - 02 Mar 2016 at 6:49pm
comrade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 8:13pm
I'm also having this issue. Very weak wifi signal compared to all other devices. I would appreciate ASRock doing something about it

I noticed the two (M / A) antennae are formed from some soldered blobs on the underside of the top of the case. There is a small cutaway in the metal lining, presumably to allow the signal to penetrate. Perhaps there is an interference problem?

FT_66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FT_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:34pm
Hello,

My solution is for Beebox N3150 slow WLAN Connection.

Step 1. Go to "Control Panel"
      - Hardware and Sound
        - Power Option
          - Set the "High Performance"
             - Change advanced power settings
                -Wireless adapter settings
                  - Power Saving Mode
                    -Maximum Performance

Step 2. Set the advanced settings of WLAN adapter
       - Right click on Windows icon and Choose "Device Manager"
         - Network adapters  
           - "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160"
              - right-click and select "Properties"
                - Select "Advanced"page
                  - to set the value of:
                     U-APSD Support : Disabled
                     Transmit Power  :  5. Highest
                     Wireless Mode    :  6. 802.11a/b/g

Download and install the latest WLAN driver from Intel official website.

mmilch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmilch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 6:11pm
Guys, I've made own investigation and found that main problem of bad wifi speed and stabilty is very poor internal antenna which is build under top of metal case. In fact beebox metal case is almost like faraday cage for wifi frequencies, so it's not surprising it's not working fine.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/BeeBox/images/case_antenna.jpg

You can do as I did...

1) Buy two IPEX / U.FL to RP SMA cables like this:
http://www.netek.pl/sklep/images/ufrp.jpg

2) Kesington hole is big enough to pass two small IPEX/U.FL connectors, so you can
draw the cables and connect it into wifi card A and M antenna sockets.

3) Connect RP SMA with good two external anntenna's taken for example from the old router and be happy of super fast and rock-stable wifi connection :)

I've made also another mod which reduce processor heat much, cool DDR3L memory modules and also mSATA drive. I've installed small and quiet fluid bearing fan, screw it with bottom case nut after unscrew of not used in my case 2.5" HDD bay
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/BeeBox/images/mount.jpg

then connect into SATA power socket trough a plug cut from stock SATA power cable
http://i.imgur.com/avujODe.jpg

You can see well on above photo that first pin (from the left) is ground, third pin is +12V

Edited by mmilch - 13 May 2017 at 7:44pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by FT_66 FT_66 wrote:

Hello,

My solution is for Beebox N3150 slow WLAN Connection.

Step 1. Go to "Control Panel"
      - Hardware and Sound
        - Power Option
          - Set the "High Performance"
             - Change advanced power settings
                -Wireless adapter settings
                  - Power Saving Mode
                    -Maximum Performance

Step 2. Set the advanced settings of WLAN adapter
       - Right click on Windows icon and Choose "Device Manager"
         - Network adapters  
           - "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160"
              - right-click and select "Properties"
                - Select "Advanced"page
                  - to set the value of:
                     U-APSD Support : Disabled
                     Transmit Power  :  5. Highest
                     Wireless Mode    :  6. 802.11a/b/g

Download and install the latest WLAN driver from Intel official website.

Thanks for the useful information. As I imagine you know, the configuration settings you listed are really basic things, and simply fixes or improvements to the default Windows and Intel driver settings.

We tend to forget that Windows is used in everything from Tablet PCs, to laptops, and desktop PCs. All the default Windows option settings are not perfect for every type of PC, to put it mildly. If someone is not modifying the default Windows option settings, such as the few listed above for example, then their PC is not configured correctly for optimum operation.

The Intel WiFi driver configuration option settings are also set by default for saving power over better performance. But why do mobile PC WiFi connections work better in public than in a home environment? The WiFi transmit power and receive capability is much greater with professional equipment used in public WiFi. Home equipment is not allowed to operate at the same levels.

The default settings were chosen with mobile PCs that all use WiFi in mind, running from battery power. Saving power is the main compromise chosen above all other things. Also, the wired Internet connection does not have a Wired Power Saving Mode in a Windows Power Plan. Comparing the two Internet connection types with default configurations is comparing two very different things.

All I would add to your information is the Wireless Adapter Power Saving Mode option in a Windows Power Plan can be set to High Performance in any Windows Power Plan. Choosing High Performance with a Beebox will cause the CPU temperature to be higher than with the Balanced or Power Saver plans. That may not be a problem, as long as the Beebox PC is located in an area where it gets some air circulation around the chassis.
mmilch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmilch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:39pm
Quote Choosing High Performance with a Beebox will cause the CPU temperature to be higher than with the Balanced or Power Saver plans. That may not be a problem, as long as the Beebox PC is located in an area where it gets some air circulation around the chassis.

Beebox case seems like designed only for fan equipped models. It's hard to get proper air circulation on passive cooling if top of the case near CPU heatsink (hot air always goes up) is entirely enclosed without any top vent holes. Putting in vertical position helps but just a little. Another thing which increase box internal temp is double metal-plastic case constrution. Metal case receive heat, but plastic keep it inside box. It's not good for passive cooling either. You should put more attention on case design I think. Turning off sport mode and things like that maybe reduce but not solve the problem. Please do in future less hermetic and "thermos-like" cases and will be OK :)

Beside those wifi and oveheating issues, this box is really nice.

Edited by mmilch - 14 May 2017 at 6:17pm
mmilch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmilch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:18am
This is my final beebox mod ...... and view how stock beebox shall look like.

Pings from desktop to beebox trough my wifi N router 1~2ms, connection rock stable,
transfer speed trough SCP ~8.5MB/s to 128GB beebox SSD

60x60x10mm fan installed on the bottom case reduce CPU temp by about 10C, sport mode is ON.

Edited by mmilch - 19 May 2017 at 5:12am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:34am
Awesome little mod Thumbs Up

mmilch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmilch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:39am
Thx Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic