ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Pro3 + MSI GTX970 hangs on POST screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P67 Pro3 + MSI GTX970 hangs on POST screen
    Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 6:10am
Hi,
Today I bought MSI GTX970 Gaming. GPU is working correctly but there is some issue between motherboard and GTX970. After turn on PC hangs on POST screen (silver screen with logo) for about 60 seconds. During that time PC speakers is beeping about 3 times but not continuously - wait 20 seconds, beep, 20 seconds, beep, 20 seconds  and last beep. After that system starts to loading from SSD.

Dr. Debug says b7 error code during hanging on POST screen.

I have ASrock P67 Pro3 with 3.30 BIOS version with i5-2500k.

With ATI Radeon HD 6850 everything was alright.

Is there any chance for update of BIOS?

Greetings :)

Edited by gather - 03 Jun 2015 at 6:17am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 11:54am
The B7 error code is a problem related to the RAM memory in your mother board. You should check that all the DIMMs are seated correctly, one may have been disturbed when you put in the new video card. Is all your memory recognized in Windows and the BIOS?

Otherwise, we have seen a few issues with new video cards and older (relatively) mother boards like yours. I'm not certain what the problem is, but it may be the VBIOS on new video cards has a compatibility problem with the BIOS in your board.

There is a Beta BIOS version for your board, 3.25, that improves PCIe compatibility, you could give that a try:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67%20Pro3/?cat=Beta

If you try this Beta BIOS, please read the BIOS update instructions carefully and don't forget to right click on the .exe file and choose Run as administrator:

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=Windows7

Otherwise, I can't predict if or when a BIOS update will happen for your board that will address this issue.
gather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 3:38pm
@parsec - thank you for your answer :)

I resolved problem by change "PCI ROM priority". It must be set to Legacy BIOS, when value is set to EFI Compatible then boot problem comes again.
I'm almost sure for 100% that there is no problem with RAM memory, because with ATI HD 6850 everything works fine independently of "PCI ROM priority" settings.

Also I don't know what "PCI ROM priority" settings doing ;) But I want to add that I have installed Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode (GPT partition).

Nevertheless I will try to update BIOS with beta version. Currently I have 3.30 version. Is this safe to use BETA version? After flash I could back to older version?

Greetings :)

gather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 1:05am
My bios is updated to beta version. It seems to be fine with GPU. But now I have problem with my PCI Express WiFi card (tp link) It is not recognized by Windows 8.1 or Ubuntu :( Futhermore i can't go back to stable version of BIOS 3.3 :((((

Edit:
happly I could back to 3.20 version, but wifi still not working :/

EDIT:
After unplug, plug, clear cmos wifi works with stable BIOS. But with BETA i can't make wifi card to work.

Edited by gather - 04 Jun 2015 at 1:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic