ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straightening CPU pins made easier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 2:05am
In cases CPU pins are severely bent I've found a scalpel very effective, thin but strong making gently lifting the pin up easy. After straightening the pins I tend to also slot a credit card between the pins (horizontal and vertical) to make sure they are as even as possible.
arso96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arso96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 11:36pm
For the minor extra effort - go to an RC Airplane type hobbyshop and buy some thin ID brass tubing that fits snugly on the Pin OD. Using this will minimize strange mechanicals, and give you a better chance with fixing 15 pins.

Ideally you'd make a little fixture which was a second offset washer-like very short tube soldered to a thin longer rod - that would be inserted first and held fixed to avoid or to limit bending the base of the pin, and the straight tube would bend the major length of the pin, back into an acceptable angle.

The thing to take care with, is to avoid bending the base of the pin since it can pop out of the BGA substrate. And do any bending slowly. Using an empty pen barrel btw is not teribly effective, as it will not let you properly apply torque limited to the point of the bend - it will often make another distinct bend point and possibly mess it up further.

btw 15 pins makes this an mostly improbable fix, unless you are very careful, PLUS wear an esd ground strap and use a static dissipative work surface set-up.

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Do not post non relevant links, this is your final warning!

Edited by Xaltar - 15 Nov 2018 at 1:54am
Ernst0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:33am
Another vote for mechanical pencil BUT for those of us with poor eyesight add a CAM.
The Cam can zoom in on the pins better and easier than a magnification glass and the plus to it is you can see the rows by turning chip and then you know exactly how to bend back with just one bend.
The best thing is only bend as little as necessary and let the socket get it perfect.
Williams20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Williams20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 3:51pm
Yes mechanical pencil is a good option..But sometimes it goes wrong too..So think twice befor using it
In2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:18pm
I found using a mechanical pencil is the easiest way. Empty the pencil lead, stick the bent pin into the pencil tip, straighten it out .[URL=www.mcdvoice.com]mcdvoice[/URL]
user_mac01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote user_mac01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 11:34am
I had a couple of slightly bent pins on an opened box unused cpu, my guess is the original purchaser panicked and re-sold, neglected to list the bent pins until I closed sale.
Here's a fairly obvious quick fix for bent Ryzen 9 cpu pins not way past vertical (Lets say less than 30 degrees from vertical):
1. BUY a MAGNIFYING DESK LAMP they're cheap and free both the hands.
2. Box Cutter Blade (not for cutting duh)
3. criss-cross straighten using the the cpu pin grid row as a guide for bent dudes
4. Do it gently, very gently
5. My cpu popped, it didn't just 'drop' straight in. I wiggled the socket lever, sat one side in, lifted back out sat another side in and wiggled, lifted out, once I was satisfied the pins across different sides of the 4 faces of the cpu 'square' were liking this idea and wanted to seat in their socket holes gently push flat I lost a couple of pounds in perspiration at this step, wiggle the socket clamp lever back and forth. My Ryzen 9 3900X popped in a little more first on the bad side, and was tight so I knew it was going in, then she dropped all the way and shut tight with the lever down. I saved about $200 on the cpu and spent about $40 on the desk lamp. I still don't recommend buying a cpu with bent pins, but if you drop yours and the pins get bent enough to not seat in the cpu socket its not all over.
I don't know everything, but its what I do know that bothers people.
jhansman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhansman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 12:40am
Never underestimate the ability of system builders to figure out a problem like this. My Ryzen 5 3600 came with a half dozen bent pins; I used the blade of a small knife and a magnifier to get them aligned. Dropped right in the socket afterwards. Next time I may try the mechanical pencil; makes perfect sense.
Gene_Starwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Starwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 9:42pm
Question: does anyone know the gauge of the pins on a Ryzen Threadripper? If it matters, a 1920X, to be specific.
jhansman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhansman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 5:36am
Sorry, can't say but I can tell you that in preparation for building a friend's system, I tried my .5mm mechanical pencil on the pins of the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and it was not large enough. If you plan on using this method, you might want to experiment first with pencils that use larger lead.
zzu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:41pm
Manually resolder a broken CPU pin? good luck on that one. [<:o)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic