ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

(N3150TM-ITX): The 2-pin power header

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IngwiePhoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (N3150TM-ITX): The 2-pin power header
    Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 8:00am
Hey everyone!

I basically just signed up here, to ask a question that I could not seem to find a suitable answer for... So, here goes!

I have been toying around with the LUNA Design DNK-H ( http://luna-design.org/en/ ), and had originally intended to throw a Geekroo Fairywren+Raspberry Pi in there. Buuuut as it turns out, the DNK-H is quite serious when it says "Thin Mini ITX"... :I So, that kinda went against the wall.

However, in the process of that, I discovered a mysterious power supply cord on the base of the chasis: a two-pin plug. Within the packaging, I would find another one that could be soldered onto the board of my choice. Great!, so I thought, and had my dad solder that plug onto an ATX adapter. That, theoretically, should've worked. But as stated, the Fairywren based build didn't work due to sizes.

Now that this was out of the question, I wanted to pick up another mobo so I could occupy the DNK-H with something. One of the people at LUNA Design told me that for their "DNK-H Nano" configuration, they're using this thing: http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/n3150tm-itx/

And look! Just behind the AC jack...there it is! Another one of these mysterious power ports.

Question:
What is that thing!

I have been trying to find other motherboards with a lower price tag with the same power header, but could not find any... Is this motherboard basically the only one having this, or what? x)

I do like the N3150TM-ITX, BUT I would like to not buy something expensive, when I can get a motherboard for a lower price tag.

Purpose of the build:
- NAT router (wlan <-> ethernet)
- File-/Printer server
- AirPlay/AirDisplay server

Would be glad to hear back and have this mystery solved...

Thanks!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 10:04am
The mystery is really quite simple if you check the N3150TM-ITX manual. On page 16 we can find this picture:

That is the internal 19V DC power input header for an ATX 19V DC connector. It can be used instead of the external DC input jack.

The manual has a mistake in the Mother Board Layout section, on page 6 that describes the numbered items in the mother board picture on page 5. Item 30 is this Internal 19V DC ATX connector, but it is labeled as "DDR3 SO-DIMM Slots", which is actually item 29 in the picture. Which means there are several mistakes in that list.

Link to the N3150TM-ITX manual: http://66.226.78.22/downloadsite/Manual/N3150TM-ITX.pdf

In your post you mention an "AC jack", which I assume is a mistake, and you meant DC. Both of these power inputs require a 19V DC input.

This input is useful for a 19V DC power supply that is located within the PC case that contains this board.

The plugs you mention that were included with your PC case may be compatible with this jack on the board, but I haven't looked at the chassis to be certain.

IngwiePhoenix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IngwiePhoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 7:48pm
Hey!

Thanks for your rich answer. :)

Yes, you are right indeed. I confused AC and DC. (I probably listened to too much AC/DC? :p) And as it turns out, that power supply's plug is compatible with that header. It just confuses me that I can not seem to find other motherboards with that specific header - some have a 4-pin ATX power header that is often described with 12V.

Are you aware of any good method for finding motherboards with this specific (2-pin 19V) header? That way I could compare and find one that I like.

Again, thanks for your answer!

Kind regards,
Ingwie.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 11:44pm
My pleasure, glad it helped you.

About finding other boards with a 19V ATX two pin internal header, that is not easy. First they are unusual, ASRock seems to have only the one board with that connector. I have no idea how many boards like this exist, but besides NUC type boards, it probably isn't very many.

Searching the Internet for "ATX 19V two pin internal connector" returns mainly unrelated hits. I suggest using this string for searching, changing it by adding "mother board" or "on mother board".

Does your case manufacture have a list of boards that will work with it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic