ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restart to UEFI ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 1:28am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

donalgodon, instead of just reporting that things do not work, please tell us what they DO and any messages you get.  Please try this help to Restart to BIOS in W10:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

Have you tried turning off Fast Boot?  What is the state of CSM?  Please open your BIOS and hit F9 (Load UEFI Defaults), then F10, then try Restart to UEFI.
Enjoy, John.

It doesn't do anything, so there's nothing to report. The app simply closes and reboots the system back into Windows.

The point of using the app, for me at least, was to disable fastboot. Since it didn't work, I ended up having to use another method to do so.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 1:43am
donalgodon, I suspect what is happening is it is getting an error in the BIOS which skips opening the BIOS.  Please try what I ask you to try and answer my other questions.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
donalgodon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

donalgodon, I suspect what is happening is it is getting an error in the BIOS which skips opening the BIOS.  Please try what I ask you to try and answer my other questions.  Enjoy, John.

Sorry, but I wasn't sure what your other questions actually were. Your reply assumed the user could actually enter the UEFI/BIOS, but in my case (and others reporting this) it wasn't possible to do so with fastboot enabled, so essentially, fastboot prevents the user from entering at all, so there's no error, etc. It simply reboots into Windows rather than UEFI.

It was my understanding that one of the features of this tool (per tech documentation from ASRock on fastboot) is to allow customers who have fastboot enabled to enter the UEFI/BIOS, but it doesn't actually do that if fastboot is enabled. I'm not the first person to experience this when fastboot is enabled, and I probably won't be the last.

Edited by donalgodon - 20 Oct 2017 at 9:40am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 11:05am
Do you have the AM4 Advance Boot Training option enabled? Auto is Enabled, the default.

That option can cause Restart to UEFI to fail, which is really just using the Windows 10/8.1 restart into the firmware interface feature, that was introduced back in Windows 8.

I've seen Restart to UEFI fail with my X370 board, but it no longer fails when the AM4 Advance Boot Training option is disabled. Give it a try as a test.

Otherwise, for the users that have the Fast Boot option set to Ultra Fast...

You must also have the CSM option set to Disabled, or you cannot use the Ultra Fast option. You must also have installed Windows 10/8.1 in UEFI booting mode, meaning CSM set to Disabled when you installed Windows, or minimally, have the CSM sub-option Launch Storage OpROM Policy set to UEFI Only when you installed Windows.
donalgodon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Do you have the AM4 Advance Boot Training option enabled? Auto is Enabled, the default.

That option can cause Restart to UEFI to fail, which is really just using the Windows 10/8.1 restart into the firmware interface feature, that was introduced back in Windows 8.

I've seen Restart to UEFI fail with my X370 board, but it no longer fails when the AM4 Advance Boot Training option is disabled. Give it a try as a test.

Otherwise, for the users that have the Fast Boot option set to Ultra Fast...

You must also have the CSM option set to Disabled, or you cannot use the Ultra Fast option. You must also have installed Windows 10/8.1 in UEFI booting mode, meaning CSM set to Disabled when you installed Windows, or minimally, have the CSM sub-option Launch Storage OpROM Policy set to UEFI Only when you installed Windows.

Thanks.

I think I do have boot training on. What's the downside of disabling it? What does CSM do?
Shakers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:42am
im constantly having it freeze in bios when i use this. i end up having to do a jump reset if i enable fast boot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic