ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97M Anniversary BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reggy55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97M Anniversary BIOS
    Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:36am
Is it possible to flash the MB BIOS without a compatible CPU ?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 2:11pm
As far as I know it should be, the steps should be outlined in the manual. It involves downloading the latest bios revision, the version for instant flash and preparing it on a flash disk or floppy disk in the way described in the manual.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Reggy55 Reggy55 wrote:

Is it possible to flash the MB BIOS without a compatible CPU ?

It depends upon what you mean by without a compatible CPU?

If you mean without any CPU, then no, you must have a CPU in the board for it to function.

If you have a CPU that is not considered compatible without a BIOS update, then it depends on the model of CPU. Obviously if the PC would start and you could get into the BIOS, flashing the BIOS would probably work.

What CPU are you trying to use?
Reggy55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reggy55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 11:12am
A broadwell when they become available. I haven't bought the MB yet, but I can't tell in advance if it will come with a compatible BIOS
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Reggy55 Reggy55 wrote:

A broadwell when they become available. I haven't bought the MB yet, but I can't tell in advance if it will come with a compatible BIOS

Yes that is the problem. The Broadwell compatible BIOS versions (1.80 and 1.90) were released in May, so any earlier production boards won't have either of those versions.

Broadwell processors are likely different enough that they won't work at all without the correct microcode in the BIOS, but I don't know with certainty either way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic