ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99 OC Formula 3.1 + 5960x + 64gb ram?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrocksg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99 OC Formula 3.1 + 5960x + 64gb ram?
    Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 9:12pm
Does adding more ram make it more difficult to overclock?

I put in 8 sticks of ram totaling 64gb

Im trying to OC the cpu to 4500 mhz but cant seem to even get 4400, 4200mhz is all I seem to be getting. 

tweaktown was able to get 4997mhz on this board

The ram that I am using is ADATA AX4U2800W8G17

Could it be a ram issue? 

Edited by asrocksg - 31 Mar 2016 at 9:18pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:12pm
Yes, more physical RAM modules can effect overclocking. More modules require more power.

I am not sure just how much it effects your overclocking but I guess you can try overclock with just 4 modules installed (or even 2) and see if you get better results.
asrocksg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrocksg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 1:02am
Thanks, ill try that when I am in the office tomorrow. 
Is there a way to disable RAM in bios so I don't have to remove it?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 1:35pm
Check the DRAM configuration screen in the UEFI. I could swear a different model of OC Formula board had an option to disable DIMMs, but that may not be an option on the X99 OCF.

One method of over clocking has the user working on only one aspect of an over clock at one time. Which means for example the CPU OC is first, while memory is left at stock speed.

You've apparently noticed more memory reducing the OC potential of the CPU. The memory controller is in the CPU, so the two can be related.

With 64GB of memory, did you try increasing the DRAM voltage? Do you have any way of checking the DRAM voltage while in Windows?

Have you ever used the HWiNFO64 monitoring program? The author goes out of his way to accommodate the details and differences of mother boards. I can see my DRAM voltage in Windows with it on my ASRock X99 board, as well as the DRAM output voltage from the memory VRMs:

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

You may need to increase the VCCSA (system agent) and VCCIO voltages when using more memory. You may need to increase the CPU Load Line Calibration a notch with more memory.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic