ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

troubleshooting new build A520M-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rg500g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: troubleshooting new build A520M-ITX
    Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:28am
I completed assembly comprising the A520M-ITX/AC motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX memory, Samsung 970 EVO NVME, Asus RTX 2070 GPU and Corsair RM 750 PSU. On first boot I don't see the BIOS screen. The GPU's power indicator light shows power, fans are operational, but no display.

I double checked the CPU power cable and it is well seated both in the PSU and motherboard. I removed and re-seated the GPU also. I was wary of a possible incompatibility between the Ryzen 5 3600 and the A520 chipset but the CPU QVL shows compatibility at all BIOS levels, albeit with a red asterisk beside the CPU name, and that red asterisk is not explained anywhere I could find.

I do not have an internal speaker so I cannot hear any beep codes. At this point I do not know how to diagnose further, and would greatly appreciate advice/guidance.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:06am
The "*" is just to denote that those CPU variants do not have an iGPU.
Try with a single stick of RAM in slot B1 and make sure to clear CMOS.
Leave the system powered for at least 5mins, sometimes memory training can take
a while on first startup with a new CPU.
rg500g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rg500g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:46am
Thank you very much. I learned about the asterisk this morning looking at the QVL once more. If the QVL is to be believed the Ryzen 5 3600 should be supported with any BIOS revision. I replaced the GPU with a known working unit and behavior did not change. LEDs on the GPUs show power, but no output results. plugged a testing module into the PSU motherboard connector to verify motherboard power, then re-seated the motherboard connector just to be sure. I will next remove one stick and leave it on for 5+ minutes. Again, my thanks for your guidance.
rg500g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rg500g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The "*" is just to denote that those CPU variants do not have an iGPU.
Try with a single stick of RAM in slot B1 and make sure to clear CMOS.
Leave the system powered for at least 5mins, sometimes memory training can take
a while on first startup with a new CPU.

Unfortunately, I never got any video output. I left it on for over an hour, reset CMOS beforehand, and I'm still without video. I don't look forward to filling out a support ticket, but that's the only option I have. Given my prior experience with Support, it will take 8-10 exchanges before the Support technician concedes that I have an issue with RMA potential. If that's the buyin, so be it.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 7:13pm
Sorry to hear that, let me know how it goes with ASRock Tech Support.
Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic