ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z97 OC Formula Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lugh85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z97 OC Formula Problem
    Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 12:14pm
Ok, so something is definitely wrong.  I recently switched my entire desktop over to SSDs, and while there were some hiccups with that, I eventually worked the bugs out and everything was working fine for several weeks.  Then, a few days ago gremlins started working in my computer.  First, the system would start up for half a second, then turn off, only to turn back on about 3 seconds latter for another half of a second, and then turn off.  I eventually "fixed" the problem by unplugging the power supply while this cycle was running.  When I plugged the cord back in, and started up the computer, it booted up "normally".  I place normally in parenthesis because I have two Radeon R9290X video cards that both Windows 8.1 and the BIOS say are not plugged in.  I tried switching the video cards, thinking the problem might be that one was damaged, or that my power supply was not up to the task, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  I am currently running my monitor off of  the onboard intel graphics.  What should I do?  I want to be running my Radeon R9s and playing games.... not tearing the guts out of my computer yet again.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 1:01pm
Could we get your full system specs as well as your overclocking settings if applicable? It sounds like you were stuck in a post loop, my B85 Anniversary does that briefly if I have applied bad OC settings then eventually boots with defaults loaded. The first thing I would try is clear CMOS as the problem seemed to have started with a post loop. I can suggest more once I know more about your system.
Lugh85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lugh85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 5:48am
No over clocking, though I did plan on it down the road.  Oh, and I should mention that the reboot loop is unpredictable, and almost seems like it has to do with the residual charge in the system.  Once I unplug the power cord, hold the power button for 10 seconds, and then retry a boot up, it works fine.

So, my specs are

Intel Core i7-4790K at 4.0 GHz
32Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 (4x8gb)
Asrock Z97 OC Formula
7 x assorted SSDs
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
2 x Radeon R9290X 4Gb by XFX

This rig worked fine for several weeks, but then one day the video konked out on it.

Oh, and I did clear the CMOS last night.  It feels like im holding this computer together with chewed up gum and duct tape, because after I cleared the CMOS, I had errors with my SATA controller, which I finally fixed this afternoon.

Edited by Lugh85 - 08 Jun 2015 at 5:51am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Lugh85 Lugh85 wrote:

Ok, so something is definitely wrong.  I recently switched my entire desktop over to SSDs, and while there were some hiccups with that, I eventually worked the bugs out and everything was working fine for several weeks.  Then, a few days ago gremlins started working in my computer.  First, the system would start up for half a second, then turn off, only to turn back on about 3 seconds latter for another half of a second, and then turn off.  I eventually "fixed" the problem by unplugging the power supply while this cycle was running.  When I plugged the cord back in, and started up the computer, it booted up "normally".  I place normally in parenthesis because I have two Radeon R9290X video cards that both Windows 8.1 and the BIOS say are not plugged in.  I tried switching the video cards, thinking the problem might be that one was damaged, or that my power supply was not up to the task, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  I am currently running my monitor off of  the onboard intel graphics.  What should I do?  I want to be running my Radeon R9s and playing games.... not tearing the guts out of my computer yet again.

I don't understand what "switching the video cards" means. Does that mean you tried another R9 290X in place of one of yours, or just switched the slots the cards were in, or... so many different possibilities, no point in listing them. Please explain.

Did you run those cards in Crossfire?

Did you try testing both cards by using one of them at a time?

Unplugging the PSU within that POST or boot loop was not a good idea. That could have sent a voltage spike to components in the PC. That seems to be the start of your video card issues.

You said after plugging the PSU back in, the PC booted normally but the two video cards were not recognized. So you have the onboard Intel graphics connected to your monitor and active when you use the video cards?

The first thing you need to do is verify that both video cards are still working. Either try them in another PC, yours or a friends, or the retailer you bought them from check them, if that is a standard, non-online store.

Have you had the POST/boot loop problem since you changed to the onboard Intel graphics?
Lugh85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lugh85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 8:37am
So, to clarify, I tested the video cards for functionality, first by flipping their positions.  Then I tried using them one at a time.  Card A into PCI slot 1, then Card B into PCI slot 1.  Then after I read the last post, I went out and bought a brand new vid card, a little cheapo Radeon HD 6450.  Under none of these conditions did any card show itself to be present in either the device manager, or in the BIOS.  This leaves me  to think that I either must have a bad setting (which doesn't make sense, since I reloaded the default settings several times), or I must have a bad mobo.  Anyone think it might be something else?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Lugh85 Lugh85 wrote:

So, to clarify, I tested the video cards for functionality, first by flipping their positions.  Then I tried using them one at a time.  Card A into PCI slot 1, then Card B into PCI slot 1.  Then after I read the last post, I went out and bought a brand new vid card, a little cheapo Radeon HD 6450.  Under none of these conditions did any card show itself to be present in either the device manager, or in the BIOS.  This leaves me  to think that I either must have a bad setting (which doesn't make sense, since I reloaded the default settings several times), or I must have a bad mobo.  Anyone think it might be something else?

Could be this board's PCIe On/Off switches.

The OC Formula boards have switches for each PCIe x16 slot, that lets you turn the slot on and off. The switches are just below the chipset heat sink, to the left of the Dr Debug display. It is labeled 1 - 4 for each of the slots. The slot switch must be set to ON for it to work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic