ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - i7 6700K & Z170 Extreme 7+ MB - OC Advice Needed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

i7 6700K & Z170 Extreme 7+ MB - OC Advice Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbaeza32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i7 6700K & Z170 Extreme 7+ MB - OC Advice Needed
    Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:16pm
I have built this PC:
- i7 6700K
- AS Rock Z170 Extreme 7+ MB
- 32 GB (4x8 Crucial DDR4-2400)
- EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960, 4096MB
- Crucial 500 GB SSD System Drive
- Windows 10 Pro
- H110 CPU Cooler

I've struggled to get beyond 4.4GHz for a stable OC.  Right now I'm running at 4.6HGz (using the BIOS OC preset for 4.6GHz) but CPUID HW Monitor reports the CPU VCORE (on the MB) at 1.376V.  It shows the VID voltage on the processor at 1.415V.  CPU temps run from 39C to 64C.

These voltages feel high to me. The temps don't bother me (should they?).  The rig is about a month old.

I'd love some guidance around OC this system.  I've heard someone on the ASRock forums got a stable 5.1GHz OC with this CPU/MB combo. I'm not interested in living that far on the edge but 4.8GHz would be nice...

Thanks!
JTB
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 10:59pm
Welcome to the forums.

The general consensus seems to be be 1.35v for a daily use OC on air and about 1.38-1.4v on water depending obviously on the cooling solution used (some air coolers may actually be better than a budget water cooling solution.)

The forum member that achieved 5.1ghz is what we would call an extreme overclocker, willing to push his components to the limits and utilizing cooling beyond anything off the shelf. Here is the thread with DooRules validations and scores. As you can see he is using a vcore of 1.5v to get that much out of his CPU. 

From what I have seen 4.6ghz for an i7 6700k is about par for the course on a decent chip. 4.8 seems to be tough to reach at acceptable Vcore settings. There are always those few "golden" CPUs that hit ridiculous frequencies at a low Vcore but they are rare.

I don't have a Z170 board on hand so I can't really help much with settings but generally the idea is to set your Vcore to a fixed value of 1.35 then start upping your multi in increments until you lose stability. Once you lose stability look at changing things like LLC to regain stability, if that stabilizes things then bump the multi by one more and try for stability via other settings like LLC.   
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by jbaeza32 jbaeza32 wrote:

I have built this PC:
- i7 6700K
- AS Rock Z170 Extreme 7+ MB
- 32 GB (4x8 Crucial DDR4-2400)
- EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960, 4096MB
- Crucial 500 GB SSD System Drive
- Windows 10 Pro
- H110 CPU Cooler

I've struggled to get beyond 4.4GHz for a stable OC.  Right now I'm running at 4.6HGz (using the BIOS OC preset for 4.6GHz) but CPUID HW Monitor reports the CPU VCORE (on the MB) at 1.376V.  It shows the VID voltage on the processor at 1.415V.  CPU temps run from 39C to 64C.

These voltages feel high to me. The temps don't bother me (should they?).  The rig is about a month old.

I'd love some guidance around OC this system.  I've heard someone on the ASRock forums got a stable 5.1GHz OC with this CPU/MB combo. I'm not interested in living that far on the edge but 4.8GHz would be nice...

Thanks!

Multiple things to consider, mainly about the Skylake i7-6700K:

Many if not most i7-6700Ks have a STOCK/Auto VID at STOCK/Auto speed (4.0GHz) of 1.4V+.

That's right, no typo, a stock VID of one point four volts (1.4V) and usually a bit more.

Why? Ask Intel! (NO SARCASM or disrespect towards you intended, jbaeza32!!)

If you check Skylake over clocking result, statistics, and guide threads on the Internet, you'll find that is true. It does not matter who makes the mother board and UEFI/BIOS, the results are the same for the i7-6700K.

What about the i5-6600K? Not the same, I have one, its STOCK VID is 1.110V. Actual VCore is 1.072V. That makes the i7-6700K VID seem strange... maybe so, but I think it just makes it stand out. Have CPU microcode updates from Intel changed that? That would be big news for over clockers, and no it has not happened. You know that VID and VCore are not the same, that's good.

Skylake processor VIDs and VCores range from above previous Intel CPU generations, to WAY above previous Intel CPU generations. As Xaltar mentioned, we know of a Skylake user that had his i7-6700K at over 5GHz, using the highest VID normally possible. 1.52V.

The VID values that Xaltar quoted are the ones we have been living with for a while now, and are valid for pre-Skylake processors, and may be applied to Skylake too.

My main point to you is, with Skylake CPUs, a VID or VCore of 1.4V+ is no longer insane, suicide voltage, that will instantly kill your processor.

You said you struggled to get beyond 4.4GHz stable, but then went with a built in 4.6GHz OC. The pre-programmed over clocks tend to use high VCore, so they will work with almost every CPU the mother board will work with. That does not mean you must use that voltage.

If your struggle to OC was because you were afraid to use more voltage, don't be.

BTW, I can reduce the stock VCore for my i5-6600K at stock speeds, and it is still stable. I'm sure you can do the same for your CPU.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic