ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H55M-GE R2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Endless2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H55M-GE R2.0
    Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 8:38pm
Hello,

I have a motherboard model H55M-GE R2.0 with 8gb of ram (2*2gb + 1*4gb). I want to put more 8gb to get a total of 16gb.

Is there any problem to put a 8gb stick?

Thanks
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:36pm
I would not recommend miss-matched RAM. Ideally you will want to use 4x4 for 16gb. As it is with your configuration you are likely operating in single channel mode.

As to whether an 8gb stick of RAM will work in your board I cannot say but given the age of the chipset I would think it unlikely.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Endless2001 Endless2001 wrote:

Hello,

I have a motherboard model H55M-GE R2.0 with 8gb of ram (2*2gb + 1*4gb). I want to put more 8gb to get a total of 16gb.

Is there any problem to put a 8gb stick?

Thanks

Sorry to say, I agree with Xaltar, mixing different capacities and possibly different models of memory usually does not work well.

But the real problem is, the memory controller in your CPU does not support 8GB DIMMs, 4GB DIMMs are the maximum size supported.

Xaltar, it turns out that as long as the total capacity of each channel is the same, dual channel mode is preserved. That is, as long as the Intel Flex Memory feature is enabled. Not a BIOS option that I have ever seen, must be a hidden option. So it does not matter is one channel has two 2GB DIMMs and the other has one 4GB DIMM. When the capacity of each channel is different is when some or all of the memory is in single channel mode.

That is explained starting on page 19 of the following document, and this section also shows the maximum DIMM size is 4GB:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/piketon/core-i7-800-i5-700-desktop-datasheet-vol-1.html
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 1:35pm
Interesting, thanks for the info. I had thought only Xeons supported Flex Memory. Good to know Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic