ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Been AWHILE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spyknee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Been AWHILE
    Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 12:28am
Hey folks,
Have not posted for quite awhile.
I had some issue come up with my build, not POSTing consistantly so I had to do some fiddleing to fix. I had OC'ed the rigg in 2016, and then let it be. The problem forced me to learn again my rigg, and in doing so I learned I had made some poor choices with bios settings.

The rigg,
X99 Taichi w/ 1.40 FW, I flashed right off
i7 6850K w/ Corsair H100i GTX liquid cooler
3000MHz DDR4 HyperX Predator ram 4x4GB
Toshiba OCZ RD400 M.2 drive
1070 GTX Gigabyte video card
CoolerMaster case

Questions,
1) should I upgrade FW to 1.80?
Is stepping thru FW generations needed? ie flash 1.50 then 1.80. I saw a post that stated FW 1.50 was not good and not recommended. I used the BIOS Instant Flash over net and it offered up the 1.80 FW.

2) I had installed ram for quad function. Not paying attention, doh, I was only getting A1, B1 slot recognition, only half ram available 8GB. Now I have read that this was a common issue.
I installed the ram in dual function setup, get 16GB. I read an article that stated my 3000MHz ram had a bottleneck issue with lower end, middle of road cpu's, which mine is, and I would get better performance in dua function use so I'm fine with this, Was looking for input concerning this?

3) I was cpu OC'ed to 4.3MHz. I had raised the BLCK and volts to achieve. This was in 2016. But I do remember it was a little finicky. Could not run with ram at 3000MHz... QPI was at 8GT/s....
I did have some other settings wrongly selected, turned off hyper thread, and it worked for years, but now that I have had to fix and I am not well versed in such matters, I asked for input. The machine will not POST selecting TURBO mode 4GHz and I'm not so sure I want to raise the BLCK again....but I would like to get machine to 4GHz.
Corsair monitor says I have temp #5 X99 sensor at 212F, cpu at 95F, 1070 at 118F. The 212 F concerns me. TBH I have not looked at in awhile. Is this normal for temp #5?

So that's my story, any thoughts appreciated.

threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 9:28pm
Dear Spyknee,
Answers: when a system is running okay, there is no need to update the BIOS, newer, is not automatically better
Answer: No this is definitely NOT a common issue, the memory controller is integrated in the CPU, it is not on the board, and there is a direct link, between socket pins and contacts in the memory slots.
The memory controlelr in this CPU, runs optimal at DDR4 2400
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94188/intel-core-i76850k-processor-15m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html
It's a myth that overclocking memory will increase the overall performance of a system, usually the latency timings are higher on XMP profiles, and XMP profiles are not guaranteed to work, only supposed to work.
Only a synthetic memory benchmark, will show better results, but overall performance usually stays the same or gets worse
Check the pins in the CPU socket, and always use modules that belong to 1 kit, this way, all chips are produced in the same batch, and should be idenitacl.
Also try loosening the CPU cooler a bit, besides Noctua most coolers, put too much presure, on the CPU/Socket, causing it to bend, which results in contact problems.
Answer:
Start with default BIOS settings, before making changes.
Overclocking is always a matetr of trial and error
In some cases, the temperature sensors show bogus settings, often I see for instance an AUX temperature of 110 degrees Celsius, or more, but fact is that an AUX device doesn't exist
CPU temperature is something you should monitor, and have enough airflow over the VRM's
Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic