ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z690M PG4 - Drives disappearing after some time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z690M PG4 - Drives disappearing after some time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickLandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z690M PG4 - Drives disappearing after some time
    Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:49am
Hi all,

I use an ASRock Z690M Phantom Gaming 4 as the MB in my unRAID system. Full specs at the end. TL;DR is that drives plugged into SATA3_0, SATA3_1. & M.2_2 have started to spontaneously disappear and are not recognized by the MB again until the system is completely shut down and powered back up.

Important to note that I have a cache pool consisting of two SSDs in RAID1. 4 days ago I received a notification that one of the drives in my cache pool has gone missing. It was a Western Digital PCIE gen 3 nvme drive installed in the 2nd m.2 slot of my MB. I did not have anything installed on the SATA port that is shared with m.2 slot (SATA3_0). I assumed that the drive had just failed and pulled it from the system and went to order a replacement. I ended up deciding to replace both cache drives with two Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSDs. I installed these drives into SATA3_0 & SATA3_1 slots. I still did not have anything in the second M.2 slot.

The next day I get another notification that the drive has gone missing. Through some troubleshooting I have determined that the drives will disappear, and will not re-appear until the system is shut down. Rebooting the system via the OS does not cause the drives to re-appear.

Also important to note: I have two other SSDs plugged into SATA3_2 & SATA3_3 that have not disappeared at all. Also my MB was running BIOS V3.01, but I did upgrade it to V7.02 during troubleshooting and it made no difference.

I have a feeling there may be an issue with the chipset, but I'm not sure why it would effect M.2_2, SATA3_0, & SATA3_1 only.

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock Z690M Phantom Gaming 4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
    x2 ADATA SU630 480 GB 2.5" SSD in RAID1 used for docker containers and VM Drives - plugged into SATA3_2 & SATA3_3
    x1 WD Black SN750 1 TB NVME SSD - 1 of the NVMEs used in the original Cache Pool - Installed in M.2_1
    x1 WD Green 960 GB NVME SSD - The other NVME that was the first drive to go missing - Previously installed in M.2_2, now uninstalled
    x8 Various 3.5" HDDs for mass storage - No issues with any of these drives - Installed via LSI Card flashed into IT mode
NickLandis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickLandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:07pm
Someone on the unRAID forums suggested I try swapping the ports with the two ADATA drives to try and narrow down if the ports are the problem. Interestingly enough when I did that it was still the Samsung Drives that went missing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic